The Sewing Place

New Coverstitch Machine.

aprilla

Re: New Coverstitch Machine.
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2019, 13:21:05 PM »
My Britannia arrived nice and early today, a surprise as I wasn't expecting it until evening, the usual delivery time for us. Nicely wrapped and not a rattle to be heard (I shook it!)

I've had a few goes with it. It was all loaded up with 3 needles and looper threaded, so that's what I've used and it seems to work very nicely with the assortment of knit and woven fabrics I've tried. One of the tension dials was different to the others so already I've had a small play with the tensions and have seen the visible difference, nice. I'll try rethreading it later today.

I look forward to watching some coverstitch videos now as I've totally forgotten just why I thought I needed it.  :loveit:

One of the questions I asked Six Penny Memories before ordering was if it needed special needles or would use any needle and the response was any needle. The manual states to use EL X 705 CF - I'm wondering a bit about this. I don't have much needle experience as my serger uses the same needles as my sewing machine. I hope I won't have much trouble getting those EL X 705 CF needles
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 15:36:33 PM by aprilla »

So Chic

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2019, 14:14:07 PM »
I normally order these needles from Barnyarn or Janome as none of the shops near me seem to stock them.  I don't have this problem with my overlocker as that takes the same needles as my sewing machine.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Helen M

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2019, 14:23:47 PM »
If you can get the CF (chrome finish) needles get them!

I've probably said on another thread that my Janome makes a much better job on lightweight (think camisoles from M&S) than the EL X 705 ones do. I got my needles a couple of years ago from a US company sewingparts online as I couldn't find them elsewhere at the time. They still have them but I think you can get them on Amazon. I got 2 packs of the the 80/12 and 90/14 but the exchange rate was good, maybe still for you in Ireland. You don't really need to change the needles that frequently (hems are short compared to sewing a whole garment!) so they will last a while but to save on postage and you find a good deal get more than one pack.

Again it's probably been said before but for some reason 90/14 work better, even on a fine fabric, something which for normal sewing goes against all logic! I use them most of the time whatever the thickness of fabric.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

sleepingwolf

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2019, 15:51:32 PM »
@aprilla Glad to hear your machine arrived safely and you've had a chance to try it out. I found a few useful sources of information over the last couple of days.

Britannia

Stitches and Seams

Coverstitching.com This isn't the best website design ever but there is some really good information in here.

The Last Stitch  I like Johanna Lundstrom so much I've just ordered her book, Mastering the Coverstitch.

Have fun with your new machine :)

aprilla

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2019, 16:02:43 PM »
Thanks @Helen M and @So Chic, I'll have a look about for these needles and keep my sewing needles for the sm and serger. I know I got a packet of them with the machine but I'll be happier having spares to hand, and knowing where to get more... just in case. Delivery is the issue for me, smaller things that get posted can take weeks and weeks to get here. Seems the bigger it is the faster I get it LOL

@sleepingwolf Thanks for the links :)
I'm looking at surefitdesigns coverstitch videos on YouTube at the moment and it's great to have more to follow with. Yes, a lot of the videos just repeat the same info, but I do like getting all the different opinions and methods, gathering ideas again as in all the excitement I have forgotten my own plans for it  :P

aprilla

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2019, 09:46:15 AM »
I went to my 'local shop' - eBay - and was able to find a seller with both 80/12 and 90/14 EL X 705 CF needles so bought a couple of packs of both. I'll feel more confident now, with those on their way. I know they aren't the same but I broke the knife on my serger during the first day (yes, I knew better) and looking at it for the next 10ish days and not being able to use it was just awful!

So far the Britannica is going well, rethreading isn't a nightmare. It likes my assortment of serger threads just fine but when I had a go with metallic sewing threads I had to do some tension adjusting, as you'd expect. I think it's going to be both useful and fun.

aprilla

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2019, 18:31:25 PM »
How to remove a coverstitch seam the easy way
... in case anyone needs to remove their coverstitching. My leftmost needle was being lazy about sewing so I had to do a bit of ripping... the first attempt wasn't so pretty

Gernella

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »
I had to do that yesterday on a neck, went nearly all round then got to the front and got tunnelling.  In the past I just cut through all the stitches on the wrong side, but this time I went for the top side  and just cut the stitches here and there, one you got a decent length you could pull out.  Took a bit but less mess.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included