The Sewing Place

Coverstitch Machine

Sewbee

Coverstitch Machine
« on: June 20, 2019, 15:53:19 PM »
IF I were to buy a coverstitch machine, which would you suggest? I am saying IF because I want to see that I get back to sewing a bit more but the idea has been on my mind so it’s time to begin researching them. I have an overlocker but I know nothing of the various cover machines out there.

I could ask my dealer but if I do that I will have bought one before even realising it. Yes, he is THAT good at selling.

annieeg

Re: Coverstitch Machine
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 15:59:05 PM »
@Sewbee
Bernette Bernina FunLock 009DCC is a stand alone cover stitch machine (I have one).

Sewbee

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 16:03:15 PM »
I've literally just got my Bernina L220 up and running and loving it so far, though I haven't really done much with it yet.

Ohh! I didn’t know they made one. Is it easy to use.

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 16:03:43 PM »
@Sewbee
Bernette Bernina FunLock 009DCC is a stand alone cover stitch machine (I have one).

@annieeg How do you like it?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 17:38:40 PM by Sewbee »

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 16:55:57 PM »
Depends on your budget... the BLCS2 is great, I started with a Janome 1000 and it did a good job but upgraded when I upgraded my overlocker.

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 23:14:04 PM »
@Sewbee   I like my coverstitch machine and the professional finish it gives on hems and using it for topstitching.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 09:05:03 AM »
and using it for topstitching.

@annieeg  is there any advantage using it for topstitching?  I would have thought it would be easier to be accurate with a standard sewing machine especially if it has a variable needle position.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 09:14:27 AM »
I mainly use the CS for topstitching jersey/stretch hems and finishings, I've also used it with some success on wovens, but you are right @Ploshkin , the sewing machine is easier and more accurate, but if you want a rtw finish, the coverstitch is the way to go - particularly the three needle ones - very fancy!

It is also difficult to turn corners, although there are techniques out there, they do take practise.

It really is a very easy, smart finish for hems etc - but I wouldn't use it on a wedding dress!

Just like the overlocker, there are times you feel it's suitable to use it, other times maybe a different seam finish is needed.

I think you just need to decide, as with the O/L, if it's for you.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieeg

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 10:06:27 AM »
@Ploshkin @b15erk
Attached is a pic of a seam which I topstitched using the coverstitch machine.  I like it because I can do two rows of stitching at the same time.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 13:08:57 PM »
@annieeg That looks lovely. I hadn’t thought of shoulder seams. Thanks for posting the picture. It really helps to see what it can do.

Tina

Sewbee

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 13:13:54 PM »
@Francesca does the L220 have three needle capability?

Sewbee

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 13:05:32 PM »
@Efemera I see you have a Babylock. I thought those were about £1200 and then I just found this but I think it might not be the same model. Is it by chance the same as what you have? I know they are made in Japan so they must be good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Lock-CoverLock-Success-C405/dp/B01KZV21SC

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 13:17:51 PM »
No... mine is a BLCS2. It’s a coverstitch only and was around £1200. Got mine from Hobkirks
https://www.hobkirk.co.uk/babylock-enlighten-overlocker

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 13:37:39 PM »
@Sewbee I think that one is made for Babylock.   I’ve  got the same one as Efemera.  Love it!  But yes, it is pricey. 

Sewbee

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 13:52:07 PM »
@Efemera @Ohsewsimple  Ah ha! I see that one has the jet air threading - the BLCS2.