The Sewing Place

Coverstitch Machine

Marniesews

Re: Coverstitch Machine
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 14:37:30 PM »
I also have the Bernina L220 coverstitch. I've had her for 3 years now (it was phased out of the Bernina range at least 1yr or more ago - more on that below) and we're still good friends. The looper tension has got a little looser with age, which isn't a bad thing so I really don't do much tweaking. I use her mostly for knits - the lycra dance dresses, but not exclusively.

I use the chainstitch quite a lot. Of course for basting it's a dream with a quick unzip afterwards (easy enough to secure when you want to as well) but it's also good for a bold single line topstitch if you sew it from the wrong side. If you need the stability of a topstitch but don't want it to show, it's useful to stitch in the ditch and still have that bit of stretch when needed. I've also found it excellent for using on dress net. Since my DGD has been in adult sizes I can't get a ballroom single circle skirt in one piece when I can't buy 300cm wide dress net. The chainstitch is ideal for seaming two half circles of net, a really strong seam that you can press open making it both less visible than the serger and more robust than a plain straight stitch.

As for the machine. The L220 was the last Bernina model made for them by Juki. Once Bernina split from them and moved to Jaguar, Juki finally brought out their L220 design branded under their own name.  I haven't tried the new Bernette coverstitch but the Jaguar sergers that I have tried were very unrefined beasts so that combined with the Bernette branding doesn't fill me with confidence in these circumstances. In the meantime all the glowing user reviews of the Juki MCS-1500 twin have helped Juki take the home coverstitch world by storm, the number of people buying it purely on recommendation without trying it is impressive. It's really leading the charge for Juki in the US.

I've not used a Babylock although I've seen them demonstrated and it seems to me that is the other machine that is most comparable with Juki. Babylock owners would insist it's superior I'm sure, it's certainly more expensive - some of their combination models being very much more of course.

Many Janome coverstitch owners have great results with the 2000cpx in particular but it seems to be less friendly than the Juki/Babylocks and needs some patience and determination to get used to the greater attention to settings that it appears to need. They all have a learning curve and may throw a real hissy fit with some fabrics occasionally but the large number of former owners who report they've sold their Janome and then replaced it successfully with the Juki or Babylock may support this assumption.

Brother have a couple of coverstitch models, one of which does a reverse coverstitch (where it can produce the looper stitching pattern on the top surface). I get the impression that they are similar to their sergers - certainly a similar plastic feel with lots of vibration and noise. One sees lots of problems popping up with new users on the coverstitch groups but you'll also find that to a lesser extent with both Juki and Babylock at times as they do require a greater understanding than an ordinary sewing machine (it doesn't help that Janome & Babylock use different needles to Juki & Brother) but for many of us they have just worked right out of the box...until you eventually discover that one particular fabric it absolutely hates.  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Morgan

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 21:29:37 PM »
@Marniesews  Terrific assessment of those models

Sewbee

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 14:15:42 PM »
I phoned my usual dealer about coverstitch machines today. I learned he doesn’t sell Juki. Of course I was told the Babylock CS2 is excellent but it is also £1249 and I think that is probably too much to pay for a machine that is not a necessity. We will see, though. I am still researching.

He suggested a machine by Babylock called the Success Celine which is £499, I believe. It’s is a trademark of Baby Lock Deutschland. I wonder if they have a new cheaper range now. Oddly, I called another dealer the other day and he also suggested this same machine, although he did admit the Juki MCS-1500 is better. I have never heard of this machine. Has anyone else?

Success Celine Coverstitch Machine
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 14:23:27 PM by Sewbee »

ClareInStitches

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2019, 16:08:38 PM »
:D Just clicked the link and read the blurb. I suspect that it is a direct translation from 'foreign'.
 As in:
" the work of planking and decorative stitching. "       I'm  not sure that I have ever planked.
and
" the SC C4 knows no restriction and has precisely these types of points and of course a chain stitch 2 son. "  Whose son would that be?

Can't help but be reminded of an ancient TV comedy called From May to December:
Middle aged male person:  My wife doesn't understand me.
Very young and scatty female person:  Why, is she foreign, then?   

That aside, thank you for the link. I shall compare the attributes of the Janome2000CPX and this one in more detail.

Clare

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 09:59:36 AM »
I've got the Janome 2000 but I have to admit it only comes out when I am using jersey knit and similar, otherwise it spends most of its time with the cover on.  It does work  well and I wouldn't be without it, but it was sort of the last machine to have on my wish list.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

aprilla

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 23:25:53 PM »
Thanks for the post about the Celine @Sewbee, I'd never heard of it.
I've been thinking about a coverstitch machine for a while, nearly bought the Janome 2000 but missed a sale and didn't. Now I'm sortof thinking about them whenever I sew, trying to figure if I'd get much use from it or if I just want to have one LOL

Here's another link for the Success Celine

callmecazza

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2019, 19:06:56 PM »
I went to an overlocking/cover stitch display today. Omg some of the baby locks are seriously amazing. I am on a limited budget so they were out of the question. I test drove the Success Celine as was very impressed with it, so much so that I’ve ordered one. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that the big machines have but I was able to thread it and get it to work beautifully with minimal effort.

Sewbee

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 09:21:06 AM »
@aprilla and @callmecazza Thanks so much for commenting about the Success Celine. My dealer phoned me yesterday and said Babylock is having a one-day special of 10% off so I am off to get a demo of the Babylock BLCS but also the Success Celine.

Am I totally mad? Setting foot in there is dangerous!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:06:19 AM by Sewbee »

Efemera

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 09:37:11 AM »
It does seem a lot for a coverstitch but if you get a binder it will revolutionise your sewing.

Sewbee

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 09:40:43 AM »
@Efemera Thanks for that. The binder attachment is actually one of the features i am interested in.

aprilla

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 10:49:18 AM »
@Sewbee  Of course it's madness, and I can't wait to get a full report!!

Sewbee

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2019, 11:56:07 AM »
At the train station now - on my way!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2019, 12:37:00 PM »
@Sewbee be sure to find out how much the accessories are for the Celine, and availability.  I could see pictures but no word on prices and I couldn't find out who stocked them either.  Some of those for my Janome are nearly £100.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2019, 13:13:52 PM »
The Babylock accessories are expensive too but you can use industrial accessories on it.  I have a binder but I  don’t use it a lot. 

Sewbee

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2019, 15:06:30 PM »
On my way home.

I am now the proud owner of a coverstitch machine.

Guess which one I bought!

More later!

Tina