The Sewing Place

Having the Blues contest 1.07. - 31.07.2019

Ploshkin

Re: Having the Blues contest 1.07. - 31.07.2019
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2019, 15:54:12 PM »
Ploshkin's Entry
I have made a Style Arc Tara top using a £5 remnant of striped Italian shirting cotton with a plain shirting cotton for the under collar and inside trims.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I added 2 long darts to the back as there was no shaping and altered the front and sleeve band pattern pieces to be able to cut the inner halves from a different fabric.  The only fitting alteration needed was to take a bit out of the back armholes to prevent them gaping.  This is the finished top, front and back
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

and the main feature which is the double collar.  That was a bit tricky to do as there were a lot of layers of fabric involved.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 15:55:50 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2019, 18:08:05 PM »
@Ploshkin what a beautiful shirt!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2019, 01:36:55 AM »
Finished a pair of pyjamas yesterday but DS and wife phoned because they had missed the last train to get the connection for home, so they were catching the last train here - which got in  12.15,  so I have been clearing the spare room, making up beds, finding toothbrushes and organising abit of supper. Writing up entries later, when I have recovered and put everything back.  And Goodnight from me.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

indigotiger

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2019, 05:05:54 AM »
Managed to just finish my blue popover in time. Left off the patch pockets to add them later on... Photos when there is daylight and it isn't too hot.
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

Sewingforfun

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2019, 16:19:20 PM »
SewingforFun's Blue Jeans!!

What did you make and what material did you use?
The Closet Case Morgan jeans (non-stretch "boyfriend" style). The main fabric is a 14oz non stretch indigo denim, the pockets and waistband lining are a printed cotton poplin, both from Raystitch in Islington. The antique gold rivets and buttons were a kit from Closet Case supplied in the class, but you can get similar online from them or on ebay.

Pattern used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)
Closet Case Morgan.  I'll definitely make this pattern again. It's a really fun project, and not as hard as it looks if you follow the steps in the correct order. I don't think they look handmade, but the fit is definitely custom.

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
 I made them (mostly) in a two day class at The New Craft House in Hackney on the 13th and 14th of July taught by Heather-Lou, the Closet Case designer, with a bit of final topstitching and hemming at home. Before the class, I made two toiles, one muslin, and a second "wearable" one, then the jeans themselves were fitted again in the class.

The pattern was true to shop size (I made, and normally wear, a 12). I scooped the crotch curve both front and back, and tinkered with the back length. We also made some adjustments to the hang of the legs. She recommended a knock-knee adjustment that I'll do next time, and I think a bit more leg tinkering is in order, but overall they fit a zillion times better than any jeans I've ever bought!

The topstitching was fiddly, and took some practice (and unpicking), but my oh my, what fun to do in a jazzy yellow on the dark navy! The wearable toile (as yet not quite finished) has bright orange on mid grey linen....  If you look carefully at the back view, you can see where I chalked a fancy set of initials onto one pocket, then decided my machine embroidery was not up to snuff. Another time.

My biggest issue was the *()&%$£ Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 machines they have in the studio. I cannot say how much I hated this machine - it had an evil mind of its own, at one point just randomly starting to sew even though I was nowhere near the presser foot (we think I brushed the start button, which I didn't even know it had), and every time it also carried on backstitching even though I had turned off the back stitch. It also struggled with the heavy fabric, jammed constantly, etc etc etc.  :angry: :angry: The difference when I got back to my Bernina 1008 could not have been greater. It just sailed through the denim, even when there were lots of layers, and generally did just what I wanted it to do. Any craving I might have had for an electronic machine is now totally gone! :D

Oh and it's too warm to wear them! I put them on for the photo, and took them straight back off again. This is a problem I think I can live with.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 16:29:48 PM by Sewingforfun »
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Sewingforfun

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2019, 16:44:34 PM »
@Sewingforfun
Those jeans look simply amazing. I also love the pretty fabric you’ve used on the inside.
Well fitting jeans are a nightmare to buy so I can’t begin to imagine how hard it must be to produce something that looks so professional. I’m in awe of your talent.  :|

@WildAtlanticWay - thank you, very kind! I made them in a class, which helped, but they weren't nearly as hard as they look (or as I expected). The place I went (The New Craft House) is running another jeans class in October.. I see you are in Ireland, but there were two ladies from Switzerland and one from Denmark on the one I went to, so it might be an excuse for a weekend in London...?? ;)

Closet Case also does a video class, and also has a sew along on its blog.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

indigotiger

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2019, 05:13:13 AM »
indigotiger's  faux-shibori popover dress

What did you make and what material did you use?

A loose lightweight summer dress suitable for the hot days of August, made from some wonderfully silky rayon broadcloth printed with faux shibori (japanese tie-dye) motifs in a very dark indigo colorway. Actual shibori is often done using indigo as a dye

Pattern used This is my TNT summer dress pattern, which I initially modified from the concept of this Nani Iro design back in 2010, mostly by adding triangular gores to increase the width and twirl-factor of the skirt, and to enlarge  I have made at least eight more over the years. A pattern that consists of primarily rectangles and triangles is easy to cut out and sew when heat makes doing anything a challenge

how you made it/problems overcome/etc
I really wanted to take advantage of the faux shibori border print fabric, so I cut the body panels along each edge to shift the motifs to a vertical arrangement, and cut the small front back gores, and the larger side gores from the remainder of the fabric. I like to stabilise the hemline and make hemming easier on these flowy dresses by adding a narrow straight grain band around the hemline, which meant that I could simply turn and stitch a hem rather than faff about with the curved edge. I had a different piece of batik rayon bias strip floating about the sewing space, and when it fell across this project, I decided to use it for the neckline binding, just for fun
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

toileandtrouble

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2019, 20:43:34 PM »
Toileandtrouble Entry 1

Short sleeve shirt from KwikSew 3484.
Piece of shirting from stash.  Polycotton, although I would have preferred a pure cotton, but really testing the pattern for some pure linen I just bought, so really a wearable toile.
 Only alterations were  to shorten the body 1" and stitch up the hems deeper than they said. I wasn't sure the pressed up hem would stay in place with just an edge stitching. (Oh, and customised it with the tiniest drop of oil, but that might be lost in the first wash).  I think next one I will use a size smaller and do a broad chest alteration, maybe do turn-ups instead of a hem on the sleeves, and narrow the collar slightly.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

toileandtrouble

« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2019, 21:04:40 PM »
Toileandtrouble Entry 2

Pyjamas from Simplicity 8323 OOP pattern.
Material is M&S  wincyette  from stash.  Bought in the days when their material was made here and I could get over-runs from the market. It is the last piece, great quality. Ready for winter now!
Used the pattern as is, except to add 2" to the arms and legs because DS can't get bought ones long enough. 
Slight hiccup with the pocket, I was trying to match to the design on the jacket front but picked the wrong paisley leaf to match and only found out after I had neatly sewn on the band at the top and then had to do the whole pocket again. 
It is unusual in having a shirt hem on the jacket, but if I did it again, I think I would cut it straight. Apart from being easier to hem, I think it  would look better. 
Had it all sewn up and was sitting down to put in the elastic and sew on the buttons just before bedtime on the 31st but then got a phone call and had to make up beds for visitors,   so I went into the first hour of the next day. If that is too unfinished and it is disqualified, I'm still pleased to have got it done. The elastic is just fastened together roughly, waiting to be fitted properly on its new owner.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Had to squash the legs up a bit to get the picture.
And this is the pocket    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:51:16 AM by toileandtrouble »

Manuela

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2019, 00:52:15 AM »
Yay, 13 entries so far  :D