The Sewing Place

Clothkits - kits (changing bag and mat)

annieeg

Clothkits - kits (changing bag and mat)
« on: June 25, 2019, 10:34:03 AM »
(Hope this is the right place to post).
I made this Clothkit up and attach pics of the end result. 
I don't like their instructions and would, on reflection, have been better off with using something from the Big4 whose instructions and diagrams are clearer.
The end result looked better in real life...
(However, why I bothered to make something rather than buy something, I don't know - as the recipient gave it a quick look at the baby shower and then dismissed it....)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

b15erk

Re: Clothkits - kits (changing bag and mat)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:40:02 AM »
It makes you wonder why we bother doesn't it @annieeg ?

I've had that happen, and it's awfully hurtful when you have put so much love into what you have made.

I think it's just lovely.  A really thoughtful gift.

Some people!  ><

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

twopence

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 13:48:43 PM »
I made this in the eighties when expecting DD2.  Used it for DS as well.  I found it very easy to make.

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 00:52:54 AM »
It's lovely @annieeg - but it's so disheartening when somebody dismisses your gift like that. There's an awful lot of hype going around that people love receiving hand-made presents. It's just not true of some people - they have no idea of the love and effort which has gone into making something like this. Good job we understand on here. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 09:42:18 AM »
"The gift is to the giver, and comes back most to him - it cannot fail". Walt Whitman

You did good Annie. Been there too. And for your next project....?

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
Thanks for the empathy and support.
My next project is FOR ME with the massive bonus of a clear conscience as I won't feel guilty that I'm being selfish. ;)

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 13:12:28 PM »
My in-laws were like that. If you made it, then it was free (ie worthless). I re-trained them over time and they finally got it when they realised how much went into the two girls' wedding samplers.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 14:13:32 PM »
Most of my family and friends are like that. If it doesn't come from John Lewis, they don't want it.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 17:24:49 PM »
Mmm.  Slightly off topic, but this reminded me of the timel MIL gave my daughter a rag doll.  Someone had made it from a bottle green cardigan. When shown it, she backed into the corner of her cot, murmuring "Alright, alright".  Some people just should not be allowed to do handicrafts.
Sorry, @annieeg  I didn't mean your changing mat, just that handmade is not always a recommendation!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 20:50:35 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m