The Sewing Place

What is double gauze?

sewingj

What is double gauze?
« on: June 26, 2019, 13:44:46 PM »
Dragonfly Fabrics have sent me an email advertising their cotton double gauze - what is it?

https://www.dragonflyfabrics.co.uk/product/garden-ramble-indira-lagoon-cotton-dress-fabric/?mc_cid=9fec4f5465&mc_eid=d94ab912e8

I know there are 2 layers of fabric but are you aware of that when you are sewing it?  ie do the 2 layers move around?
And how transparent is it?
Why would it be "better" than cotton lawn for example?

WendyW

Re: What is double gauze?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 16:08:20 PM »
I've only seen it actually used for baby blankets. I can see it would make a nice summer weight receiving blanket, but I've never even considered it for clothing. Maybe for a beach cover-up robe. It's a very rumply, casual looking fabric.

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 17:41:01 PM »
I think there must be 2 types of fabric called double gauze. Both are 2 layers of fabric, but one seems to be crinkley and the other a flat weave. Think cheese cloth of the 70’s for the crinkley  and muslin for the flat.

I’ve sewn the crinkley, which I found quite easy to sew, but when pressed flattened out. I just held the steam iron over it and pressed the steam button and it crinkled up again. It didn’t move about as I was sewing it. Great for looser clothing as @Francesca said. I made palazzo pants.

A member of my sewing group made a dress of fabric from Dragonfly, which was advertised as double gauze. Hers was the flat weave and made up into a nice summer dress with princess seams. As far as I remember she didn’t line it and it wasn’t see through. She’s not a particularly advanced sewist  and didn’t say it was difficult to sew.

They will send you a sample.
Procrastination get behind me

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 17:46:24 PM »
I've sewn double gauze, no problem, I just ignored the fact that it's crinkly and it worked.

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 23:27:57 PM »
I like double gauze. I've made a few things with the Japanese stuff. Not crinkly and super soft. Makes great loose pants. Not transparent. Did find it a bit thick when sewing burrito yoke, though.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

jintie

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 05:47:12 AM »
Catlar, is it the same as dobby? If so, where did you get it?
Rottweiler with scissors

Kad

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 07:45:41 AM »
Catlar, is it the same as dobby? If so, where did you get it?

No, I don't think so. I understand 'dobby' to be a fine cotton with regularly spaced spots of a thicker texture. The idea being that by wearing the fabric with the 'lumpy spots' against the skin it helps to keep cool in warm/humid weather by keeping the fabric away from the skin and aiding the flow of air. I think I remember reading that it became common during the days of empire.
The only times I see it now in rtw clothing,bit is used with the ' lumpy spots' on the outside  ><
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Nevis5

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 08:45:27 AM »
I'm glad you said that, @Francesca  - I keep seeing reviews using double gauze where the maker raves about it, but my experience is that it sticks and grows.  I've used the Japanese sort as well as the more crinkled version and although it is undoubtedly soft, it's not my favourite fabric to use.  I made a simple top with cut on sleeves with mine.   (in fact I wore it yesterday, I find it rides up and sticks to my linen jacket).

I have one piece left in my stash, have made a pair of pull on harem type pants for my new grand baby to be, but am not sure if I'm going to use the rest of it for anything for me. 

I'm seeing it more in RTW though; my sister (who has more money than sense) has a shirt made from double gauze from Eileen Fisher.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 23:50:28 PM »
No, it's not dobby J. Google Nano Iro double gauze - I can't remember where mine came from, sorry.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Manuela

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 01:18:46 AM »
Oh yes, Nani Iro cotton double gauze is the stuff made in heaven. It is soft, hardly crinkles and feels like a dream on - completely opaque.
Not the easiest fabric to sew, but fabulous for loose fitting garments. I buy mine usually here:
https://shop.missmatatabi.com/search?q=Nani+iro+double+gauze

Here some examples of what I made - both are Nani Iro fabrics

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

KayK

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 14:24:24 PM »
OOooo!  So glad to see that fabric made up - I was looking at it online a few weeks and wondering what double gauze looked like - now I know!  Thanks for that! @Manuela
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well