The Sewing Place

The tale of 1 jelly roll

datcat23

The tale of 1 jelly roll
« on: June 27, 2019, 13:24:41 PM »
Yep, 1 jelly roll (+yardage) and 5 quilts.

I had one jelly roll, purchased many many moons ago, somewhere.  The range was called Summertime, and it was a sea of pastels.  Thankfully, a friend had the matching yardage, so I purchased a selection from her, and started the process of putting together two baby quilts.  I started (because its always good to start) with using the jellyroll into a jelly roll race quilt top.  From there, I cut that top, into columns 8.5in wide. 

I then split a couple of the columns into blocks of 4 rows. These I backed with matching yardage (different colours), which I then used my embroidery machine to quilt a design for me.  I then joined them together using a QAYG method.   

Completed baby quilt by Dani, on Flickr

The back.

Back by Dani, on Flickr

Quilt two:  Left with yet more columns, I used these on their sides, and with a matching yardage for sashing, I constructed rows of vertical strips.  This was quilted normally, using wavy lines. 

Brad's quilt by Dani, on Flickr

...... to be continued.
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

datcat23

Re: The tale of 1 jelly roll
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 13:30:01 PM »
Quilt 3, 4 and 5

And so I was left with a full column, and a slightly narrower column, bits of left over rows, and left over yardage.   A charity I am aware of, produces dolls and matching accessories for disadvantaged children.  I decided to use what was left, to make a series of doll quilts.

Again, these were pieced, bu then quilted on my embroidery machine.  The space surrounding the quilting is not an issue, as the middle is flannel rather than batting, and therefore not likely to break up.

Doll quilts by Dani, on Flickr

Doll quilt by Dani, on Flickr

Doll Quilt by Dani, on Flickr

Doll quilt by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

datcat23

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 13:32:38 PM »
All have passed quality control, and have been approved by LittleMadam.

Elnnina

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 16:25:49 PM »
Well being a non quilter really (as |I have only dabbled a little) I do not know what a jelly roll is although I have heard it being mentioned.  Well Dani, you have surpassed yourself again, and if you are saying that these quilts have all come from one roll plus some other fabric then that is excellent value - well done.  So glad it has passed quality control - she obviously thinks it is for her own personal use.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 17:09:31 PM »
@Elnnina

Jelly roll = 2 1/2" wide strip x wof
Mini charm pack = 2 1/2" squares
Charm pack = 5" squares
Layer cake = 102 squares

usually 42 - 44 pieces in each of complementary designs and colours in one fabric range.

linky

linky
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Missie

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 18:02:53 PM »
They are beautiful @datcat23 .

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 18:37:29 PM »
Lovely, Dani  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 19:29:24 PM »
What a great use of a jelly roll. I found one the other day that I didn't know I had!!!!!!
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

snoozi soozi

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 20:35:40 PM »
@datcat23 what they said  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Bowerbird

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 23:16:25 PM »
Beautiful work, there will be some very happy dollies out there  0_0

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 12:46:12 PM »
@datcat23 , your work as always is beautiful.  That quilting really shows off your beautiful work.  I love the pastels too, they will match anything in a nursery.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieeg

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 12:57:47 PM »
@datcat23
Just gorgeous (and the quilt is pretty nice too) ;)