The Sewing Place

Serger/Coverstitch/Presser feet tutorials

b15erk

Serger/Coverstitch/Presser feet tutorials
« on: June 27, 2019, 13:34:33 PM »
Cam across these when I was looking for info about some odd presser feet I have.

Only watched a couple but they seem to be excellent - in depth info on the double fold knit/bias binder for the Coverstitch.

This lady knows her stuff!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Serger/Coverstitch/Presser feet tutorials
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 14:00:01 PM »
Oh come on Jessie.  Don’t keep it to yourself.   0_0

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 14:05:14 PM »
@Ohsewsimple , it's my trick for building the suspense!   :| :|

Here she is!

Gail Yellen.

Super stuff.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 17:36:11 PM »
Ah Yes she has a Craftsy class but I think Linda Lee's was more inspirational.
Will have a look at these.  Thanks. 
I knew I’d get it out of you.  0_0

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 20:35:39 PM »
Here she is!

Hmmm!  She got her lace upside down in more ways than one!  :ninja: :ninja:

Anyone who makes handmade lace will know that the straight edge, which she called the header! is referred to as the foot, or foot-edge, and the outside curved edge is the head or head-side.

That type of lace (warp knitted) DOES have a right and wrong side.  The way the machine makes it is to lay the main threads down into the required positions and then a series of parallel chain stitches hold it all together.  Those stitches show as chains on the wrong side and a single thread stitch on the right side.  True it's more obvious in some laces than others, but I think she got it wrong in both the sample and the demo.

Neat use of the overlocker though.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »
@Ohsewsimple , not heard of Linda Lee, that will be the job for the day.  I found this lady while I was 'researching' (read, trawling YouTube) presser feet.

I found these Gail Yellen videos had lots of O/L and Coverstitch information which is not usually so detailed or well explained. 

@BrendaP , sorry, I know very little about lace so have no idea whether the lace info was kosher or not. It was the general information as a whole that I found to be very helpful.

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 09:18:59 AM »
@b15erk  The head-side - header thing is just terminology; machine and hand made lace often has conflicts of names; not dissimilar to UK-USA names for things (as on the thread about the rooms in  @Lowena 's new house.

As for the wrong and right side of lace, it's like the wrong and right sides of fabric, sometimes it's obvious, other times not so obvious, but with those warp knitted edgings, often the cheaper lace edgings, the rows of chain stiches do tell you which is which.  It's the same with lace curtains but they are often higher quality and there will be more surface texture  on the right side to help to distinguish.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.