The Sewing Place

Shoulder bag in a favourite fabric

datcat23

Shoulder bag in a favourite fabric
« on: June 27, 2019, 22:49:52 PM »
One of my downfalls, is that I will set myself a list of projects to complete, and then get sidetracked, and make something else completely different. This happened last weekend, when I was sick with a cold, and really should have just been lying in bed recovering.

Hubby and I were heading out somewhere, and I grabbed one of my "weekend handbags". I realised these were getting quite tatty, and didn't look very good. So I dug out an old pattern, and set about making myself a handbag, using some canvas type fabric I had in the stash. Pattern is Simplicity 3828 (probably out of print). I added an extra internal pocket, and the tabs and corners are a vegan leather from Spotlight.

The handle ended up a bit shorter than I expected, but the bag tucks under the arm quite well.  Its a bit bigger than I expected, and I think it could really do with more than the magnetic clasp.  But, for quick trips to the shops, it will do just fine.  The fabric is a course cotton, sort of like canvas in texture.  Internal fabric is quilting cotton.  I did break my rule about dark internal liners on bags, but still, I think it looks pretty. 

Handbag by Dani, on Flickr

The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Acorn

Re: Shoulder bag in a favourite fabric
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 07:52:27 AM »
That's lovely!  I'm a real sucker for interesting linings in bags (and anything else for that matter).  And one of the brilliant things about making your own bag is having decent, useful pockets inside!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 08:53:42 AM »
Oh that does look good. Love the fabric.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 09:17:19 AM »
Lovely bag Dani, the fabric and the lining are beautiful!

I've not made a bag since I did the Mary Poppins bag for Lilya, although I think about doing another one often.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 12:17:38 PM »
Very nice Dani, I love bags of all kinds
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Elnnina

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 15:26:56 PM »
Oh Dani there is just no stopping you with your creative ways, this bag is just right, and looks so professional - just how do you manage this amongst all the other things that you do and sew?  Well done.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 16:56:45 PM »
That's pretty. Love the fancy lining - never understood why commercial bags are in the main black inside - can't find anything in the bottom.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !