The Sewing Place

Add belt loops to elastic waist - after the fact

aprilla

Add belt loops to elastic waist - after the fact
« on: June 28, 2019, 10:34:50 AM »
I've made a pair of elastic waist pants but now I think I want to add belt loops to them. It's 1.5 inch elastic in a casing. I've done loops before on jeans and have made the loops but when I went to attach them I got worried about sewing through the elastic. I took great care not to sew into it when installing it so somehow it seems wrong to sew through it now.
Should I just sew through the elastic? I don't know the reason for not sewing through it when making the waist, but there must be one when it is stated in patterns.
Feeling a bit silly about this but what to do!! Help appreciated :)

toileandtrouble

Re: Add belt loops to elastic waist - after the fact
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 11:02:19 AM »
As long as you make sure the trousers are spread evenly along the elastic, go ahead and sew. The elastic will still stretch in all the gaps. Also, the stitching will help stop the elastic rolling over when you wear them. Sometimes i sew across the elastic in a couple of places,  just to stop that happening.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

aprilla

Re: Add belt loops to elastic waist - after the fact
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 11:20:11 AM »
Thank you @toileandtrouble 
I think I knew this but had worried myself into a spot I couldn't get out of (I do that sometimes). It's great to be able to ask and get help, even when it's silly  :P

I will sew through the elastic without any qualms now  0_0