Thread for Quilting

Stitches

Thread for Quilting
« on: June 28, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »
what is the best thread to use for machine quilting please

Lilian

Re: Thread for Quilting
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 13:06:26 PM »
I am still quite new to P&Q but have learned that 50wt cotton is good for the quilting part. I have Aurifil and some Mettler threads.  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 16:00:34 PM »
This has to be a case of personal choice.

50 wt cotton thread is the sort of 'bog-standard' weight that you use to sew the seams in medium weight fabric, such as P&Q cottons.  It's akin thickness wise to Guetermann Sew All.

If you want to make a feature of the quilting use a thicker thread on top, such as 30 wt or 40 wt cotton (50 wt cotton or Sew All in the bobbin).  If you want the quilting to disappear (quilting in the ditch maybe) use the 50 weight or even finer; 60 wt.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 16:32:05 PM »
Take no notice of me....I shove any old thing in the machine as long as the colour is right, (as I keep saying I’m a scutty sewer).. in over the decades nothing has given way or worn out.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 16:56:47 PM »
I like the YLI variegated threads, but will use Mettler (v nice) for single coloured thread.
Both sew beautifully in The Splurgess... apparently some machines are picky.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 18:31:41 PM »
This has to be a case of personal choice.

50 wt cotton thread is the sort of 'bog-standard' weight that you use to sew the seams in medium weight fabric, such as P&Q cottons.  It's akin thickness wise to Guetermann Sew All.

If you want to make a feature of the quilting use a thicker thread on top, such as 30 wt or 40 wt cotton (50 wt cotton or Sew All in the bobbin).  If you want the quilting to disappear (quilting in the ditch maybe) use the 50 weight or even finer; 60 wt.

Oh I meant 40wt forgot for a moment that low numbers is thicker thread :(
Willing but not always able :)

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 21:52:34 PM »
My Brother machine hates Gutterman thread
Triumph of hope over experience :D

twopence

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 21:59:07 PM »
I like King Tut or Gutterman Sulky quilting cotton for quilting and Masterpiece for piecing. 

When trying to match colours for a smallish amount of quilting on a quilt top I have ready, I bought two reels very similar as I couldn't decide which colour would match the fabric best so would try each out first.  Then I read about double eyed needles so will get a packet and try both reels with them to see what effect I get.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 22:24:34 PM »
I only ever use cream or grey for piecing. I usually hand quilt, big stitch quilting with Perle no 8.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 23:35:25 PM »
.....and remember that not all 50wt or other "same weight" threads are the same thickness. It depends on the brand and as to how many ply the thread is ie, a 50wt 2 ply thread (eg Aurafil) will look thinner when stitched than a 50wt 3 ply (eg Gutterman)thread.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 07:16:38 AM »
Then I read about double eyed needles so will get a packet and try both reels with them to see what effect I get.

???????????????????  :o    :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »
I bought 2 bobbins of Aurifil to quilt my daughter’s wedding quilt. The thread itself was great, no snapping at all and a nice slight sheen.

However, as I got near the end of the bobbin when the plastic middle of the bobbin became exposed, it had lots of rough bits which kept snagging the thread. Most annoying as l probably lost a few hundred metres of thread.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 10:17:04 AM »
I got some double eye needles too, I thought it might be useful for topstitching and I want to see if the two threads stay in line, go side by side,  or mix to give a variegated effect.  Other things to do first though.  Just started on my June MMQ blocks, got the stuff out last night but just got too tired.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Scotanne

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 10:31:44 AM »
I am new to quilting but have been sewing for 40 plus years.  I treated myself to a new Janome M200 QDC 14 months ago and it’s been a great machine but it’s now being repaired by the shop.  Warning!  I thought I’d be covered by the 2 yr warranty but no, it’s user error according to the shop and Janome.  Some thread has got caught in the links behind where the thread goes up and down.  Apparently this is a known issue with any make!  My gripe is that if it’s a known issue why do users not have access to this area to remove thread before it seizes up the machine.  I’ve asked for a sample of the thread so I can identify which one has created the jam. I had no problem with my old New Home machine and I wish I’d tried to get it repaired as the motor was fine.   

Stitches

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2019, 12:40:38 PM »
been and got some YLI thread will be trying it this pm.