The Sewing Place

Jones Treadle Machine

Acorn

Jones Treadle Machine
« on: June 28, 2019, 17:08:25 PM »
I have just spotted this lovely thing in a shop not too far away.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The needle and bobbin move beautifully when the wheel is turned, and the treadle turns the wheel underneath the cabinet smoothly and freely, but the treadle belt is missing.  It seems to me (who knows next to nothing about these things) that this link should be quite straightforward...?

The decals are very good, but looking at Fiddlebase the dacals suggest 1896, but the fact that it's a treadle machine suggests 1901.  The serial number on the machine is 577, but I can't find any info about that - the serial numbers listed in various places seem to come from the manuals not the machines.

I didn't check that there was a bobbin in the shuttle case - presumably that's not likely to be too difficult to get?  There is also a piece of rubber broken off from the thingy that goes against the wheel to wind the bobbin (the piece is there, but very hard, and not very grippy against the wheel)  - again, would that be hard to replace?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Does anyone have any advice?  I'm sorely tempted, but don't want to end up with a machine that doesn't work.  The question of where on earth I would put it is also a salient one... and may prove to make it impossible anyway.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

Re: Jones Treadle Machine
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 17:20:51 PM »
Buy it this minute.
It looks to me like the Singer 27k (Low bobbin winder) and if the parts are transferable then it's the easiest thing to fit them.
I bought stuff from these people. My contact was Judith Bailey and she was very helpful. She'll probably know if the singer bits and pieces will fit the Jones.
It's veh beautiful.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Radiofan

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 17:38:52 PM »
Looks like a Jones branded Singer 27k -beautiful decals. The treadle belt, bobbins and bobbin winding rubber can still be purchased new, but even with the Singers, there are 3 types of bullet shuttle, so it is best to make sure the original is present.

If you don't already own a machine from this era, it's well worth buying, especially with treadle.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 17:42:28 PM by Radiofan »
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 17:49:01 PM »
Grab it fast , I'm sure if any things missing one of us will be able to find it for you, and if there is anything missing...... haggle the price down

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 18:05:11 PM »
The price is £140 - does that seem reasonable?  (It does to me, but I'm frequently astonished at how little beautiful machines go for!)

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 19:40:10 PM »
Helen Howes for shuttles and the long bobbins

She also has a page about replacing a treadle belt.
http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/tutorials/treadlefettle.html

The other source for vintage parts is Sewlincs, but as he's an ex-Singer mechanic I'm not sure how much non-Singer stuff he has.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

maliw

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 19:53:53 PM »
I learned to sew on a Jones treadle, oh the memories.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Radiofan

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 21:25:08 PM »
The price is £140 - does that seem reasonable?  (It does to me, but I'm frequently astonished at how little beautiful machines go for!)
Seems a bit high. A mint 28k can be had for £40- 80. I've seen 27ks in treadle table go for about the same. This Jones may look good but the chrome plating is gone from most of the shiny bits and the table has scratches.
I'd offer £80 for it.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 11:08:20 AM »
I would tuck it under my arm and RAQ (run away quick). If you want to you can replace all the shiny bits.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Roger

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 21:11:31 PM »
do check that you have a bobbin and shuttle, as its unlikely to be a standard bobbin, if it doesnt and it doesnt have any attachments Id probably walk - also check what sort of needles it needs, they could be something niche like a singer 12 class or the one that the 319/320 take that makes those beautiful machines borderline redundant - although there are work arounds :)

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 21:26:32 PM »
The shuttle is definitely there, but I did't think of checking to see whether there was a bobbin in it.  There is absolutely nothing else with it apart from the wooden cover.

I think a lack of room is probably finishing it off - if the machine went down into the table as a lot do, it would be a piece of furniture and we could find somewhere for it, but this would always have the machine on top.

@Radiofan, the chrome plating isn't bad - there isn't an awful lot of it anyway, and at worst it's a bit dull.  The end plate is very good.  The wheel is black lacquer not chrome.

Roger

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 21:32:27 PM »
the bobbin and shuttle are the key parts it will probably take standard-ish attachments or the griest omni set :) unless its a back clamp (unlikely) but definitely check needles.

The size and it not folding down may be very tricky. *ses me who uses a 401 in a case as a bedside table*  :S
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 15:26:23 PM »
Ooooh Acorn that looks a little beauty, and it looks like a black metal base  - just what I would like.  The Jones decals seem to be very different to those of Singer.  Perhaps I cannot see it properly but is there a foot in place?, it looks as though it is just the needle mechanism going down to connect with the bobbin.

If you really want this you have nothing to lose by offering less than the asking price and go from there.  If as you say there is nothing else in there - have you tilted the top up to see if there is anything underneath the machine? - then there is your bargaining point.

I haven't done anything yet to my little vintage Jones hand crank, but that too has flowers on it and the needle is completely round at the top and mine is circa 1925.

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 16:25:59 PM »
I have some needles with a completely round shank @Elnnina and wondered where they came from. I have no use for them as all my machines have the flat back shank. Now I know  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Elnnina

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 18:31:46 PM »
Lilian, would you like to sell me your round shank needles?  I have measured the one I have and that is 11/2" long (one and a half inches long).

My mother used to boast that she had never ever changed a needle in her old Frister Rossman (1936) machine and had sewn everything from dainty muslin for bridesmaids dresses, shirring, upholstery - covers for their chairs, curtains and yes canvas awning.  Sadly the tension was rather temperamental and I was never allowed to even change the stitch length - this machine could probably have done with a jolly good service but she was never going to do that.  In fact I inherited  a much newer Bernina (1975) 830 Record and again this has never been serviced and by now this was 2002, so after I had sewn my daughter's wedding dress I took this Bernina and my own Elna to be serviced and it cost me a fortune.  I knew my Elna's tension was playing up - same age as the Bernina, but gulp over £200 for the two.  Both beautiful machines still in perfect working order and used a lot.

Incidentally I change my needles very regularly and my Mother would have a fit if she saw how many I go through - and I always stitch with either Bernina needles for the Bernina or Schmetz for the Elna.

Let me know about the round shanked needles - thanks.