The Sewing Place

Necchi 204d

Goldie

Re: Necchi 204d
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2023, 21:19:52 PM »
The singer “HD” machines tend not to be anything of the sort. The brother is the better machine and likely to be at least as robust.

Do you not rate Singer? Also looking at the quantum stylist 9885 as it has lots of fonts. It's so difficult to choose

Ouryve

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 21:34:42 PM »
They're not the well made machines they were in the olden days.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Greybird

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 23:13:06 PM »
@Goldie , The Singer Sewing Machine Co went out of business in, I think, 1968. Since that time other companies have been able to use the name to put on their own machines. You have no way of knowing whether the machine is well made or not. The HD machine though was one my daughter was looking at a couple of years ago - she also makes dog collars. Having seen it up close I dissuaded her from buying it. I don't think there is anything HD about it. She eventually bought an Elna 520S. This doesn't do lettering but it does have the facility to lift the presser foot a bit higher than the lever lifts it normally, useful for the necessary thicknesses of fabric, which it copes with extremely well.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 08:41:25 AM »
I’ve had to ‘repair’ a couple of Singer machines for my Sewing Group ladies. They’re not very robust and I much prefer Brother or Janome machines in this price range.

I have three Brother machines in regular use. A basic computerised model that is portable and I take to my sewing group, an Innov-is 1300 that I love and use the most and a basic Brother Overlocker. So I’m biased but I’d say you’ll probably love the extra features on the A-150.  :thumb: