The Sewing Place

Matching fabric diagonals, trouser pattern

PIWR

Matching fabric diagonals, trouser pattern
« on: June 30, 2019, 17:13:36 PM »
I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice?  I have a lovely piece of fabric with diagonal stripes and I am trying to use it to make a pair of trousers (casual trousers from pattern hack from jumpsuit in Sewing Bee book), but I am stumped as to how to lay out the pattern pieces.  There must be a way to do it but I just cannot figure it out.  is it simply a pattern 'not suitable for obvious diagonals'?Thanks in advance.

BrendaP

Re: Matching fabric diagonals, trouser pattern
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 17:32:03 PM »
Is the fabric reversible?
Are the diagonal stripes at exactly 45 degrees to the selvedges?

If the answer to both questions is 'no' then you will be unable to get trousers with a symetrical layout.

If the fabric is reversible you would have to use both sides as the public side.
If the stipes are  exactly 45 degrees to the selvedges you could cut one front lengthways and one front widthways; same with the backs.

Neither of those scenarios are good, so almost certainly a trouser pattern is going to be considered as "unsuitable for diagonals".
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

samtowanda

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 18:34:30 PM »
The only pattern that might work is one that does not have side seams. Louise Cutting has a pattern that is an easy sew. She has great instructions including fitting the pattern. One Seams. Burda has a no side seam pattern.

jintie

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 08:34:53 AM »
I love my Burda version but it's out of print. And there is still the marching problem at centre front and back.
Rottweiler with scissors

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 09:18:43 AM »
As I said before, if you want the stripes to match either as 'V's or as 'A's at front and back you either have to reverse the fabric or turn it 90 degees for two sections.  Neither solution is ideal and may not be possible.

I think you will either have to put up with mis-matched seams or accept that the fabric isn't suitable for a trouser pattern.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.