The Sewing Place

Which sewing machine for a complete beginner?

BrendaP

Re: Which sewing machine for a complete beginner?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 21:03:43 PM »
You get what you pay for.  A £100 new machine will be cheap, plasticy, and likely die quite young.  Several hundred pounds for a new machine and you will get something sturdier and more reliable, and that will have a trade-in value if you outgrow it.

Several people have mentioned pre-used machines; they are the ones which people have traded-in for a higher spec model and if they come from a reputable dealer will have been serviced and be in good condition.  A proper bricks and mortar shop is best if you can manage it, just to try out machines and chat to staff who know what they are talking about - as already suggested Franklins in Colchester are probably your nearest.  If you must buy online it's Sewing Machines DIrect or Sewing Machine World. 

Avoid like the plague the one who offers 25 year guarantees and who has featured on TV's Rogue Traders.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 22:58:11 PM »
Re online retailers, I have had very good service from Hobkirk Sewing Machines.

Vezelay

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 07:19:58 AM »
A friend asked me this very question last week. She was about to buy a £250 Brother machine from Amazon because it had "good reviews". I persuaded her to call and visit John at the Singer Sewing Centre (a historic name) in Waterford before deciding. Of course he worked out exactly what she needed and she came away with a €400 Janome in the boot of her car. Once she'd got over the shock of spending that much money she was delighted with her purchase and with the security of knowing he's only 50 minutes away (or on the end of the phone) if she needs him. Apparently he often gets those Lidl machines in to repair and says they're a nightmare.

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 07:21:16 AM »
I got back into sewing about two years ago and splashed out on a mid range computerised Brother. It's fine if you're doing what it wants to do but don't try to go off piste with it. For that I have to use my 1970s Basic Singer 367 which bangs through everything like a goodun.
I'd never heard of a hump jumper until I got my new light machine...never needed one before!  :)

Top tip. If you buy cheap you get cheap.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Rhapso

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 16:10:08 PM »
A couple of months ago I bought a new Bernette b35 for £199 on Amazon primarily to encourage my daughters to sew somethings themselves. It's a mechanical machine made by Janome and closely resembles their J3-24 so I knew roughly what to expect, but I must say I'm very pleased with it and in no hurry to pass it on  :D

What I like about it for a beginner is that it's hands on, it won't run away from you and the functions it does have are simple, clear and intuitive. It's reasonably robust, not plasticky, and seems like it would take a learner reasonably far, from the basics like cushion covers and curtains through to clothes and simpler patchwork without too much trouble. The one step buttonhole is as good as any other machine I have and the machine also has a free arm facility by removing the tool box. It has a needle threader and there are several decorative stitches but of course it won't embroider and it's not too happy if there are too many layers. I have a box full of Madam Sew Janome-style snap on presser feet and they all fit this machine so there's plenty of scope for playing about with those if someone wants to improve their skills. 

It's not often I would recommend a machine to absolutely anyone, because it's often horses for courses, but I think this one is really quite good for what it is and a beginner would be in safe hands.  I hunted around online and found one at about £30 less than some other sellers.

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2019, 16:18:49 PM »
Thank you - that sort of recommendation is invaluable. 

I have in mind buying a sewing machine for my goddaughters at some point (not for quite a while - they're only 10 months and 2 years at the moment) and when you're used to fancier machines it's not easy to work out what's necessary, what's desireable, and what's just an unneeded complication!

Welcome to TSP!   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.