The Sewing Place

Worried About my Bernina

StitchinTime

Re: Worried About my Bernina
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 16:26:02 PM »
Glad you have got this sorted, @Sandra. I might be tempted by one of those bulbs for the vintage Bernina I've inherited. It's a Minimatic 707 so I think the bulb fitting will be the same as yours. Did you need to use a bulb remover to replace the bulb or did you manage it with fingers alone?

Sandra

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2019, 19:29:06 PM »
I managed to get mine in just using my fingers @StitchinTime . It's quite a tight squeeze to change the bulb on this but as the new bulb's rubbery, I was able to get a pretty good grip.

Well, I've been using it since the oldies went home, and it's OK...so far, so good and no funny smells...but I'm seeing things  -< when I'm sewing with it. It's sort of little shadows? shining around the foot.
Don't know how to explain it, but when I asked my daughter to look and tell me if she saw anything odd, she said she saw 'lines'.
It's a bit distracting. Hope I get used to it.

Sandra.
xxx

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 22:14:26 PM »
Hope it's sorted the problem for the bargain price of £6.99.

Oh no, they heard you @Sandra, they've put the price up to £7.99 but that's for a pair so still good value. I'll get them for my two 1130s...but then my 1020 might get jealous.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sandra

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 07:38:26 AM »
@Marniesews  I got mine on Ebay from coulsew for £6.99, and yes, that was for a pair.

Sandra.
xxx

Nevis5

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 11:30:11 AM »
Hmm, now I'm tempted to treat my 1260 to some new lights..... :devil:

toileandtrouble

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 16:01:47 PM »
@Sandra  the lines and shadows could be from your fingerprints when you held the bulb. An LED is almost a point source of light and can produce all sorts of effects like that.  Try cleaning the end of the bulb glass with a drop of Dettox on a cotton bud or similar.  If you use anything at all inflammable, be sure to let it evaporate completely before you switch on again!  Best to hold the bulb in a tissue or something when you put it in, to avoid any prints.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Sandra

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 18:46:11 PM »
Ah...thank you @toileandtrouble  I'll try cleaning it and see if it helps.

Sandra.
xxx

Marniesews

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2019, 18:54:27 PM »
@Sandra I mentioned this to my DH & he'd ordered it from coulsew before I knew it. It came today but we only got one for £6.99 - he didn't realise you'd got a pair for that. Never mind, hopefully it will last for years.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sandra

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 18:56:51 PM »
@Marniesews  Now, funnily enough, I hadn't realised I'd be getting two for that price.
So the big question is...have you been diddled, or have I benefited from someone's mistake? I never went back to check. Just assumed I hadn't read it properly when I ordered.  -<

Sandra.
xxx
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 19:01:14 PM by Sandra »

Marniesews

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2019, 19:19:04 PM »
@
So the big question is...have you been diddled, or have I benefited from someone's mistake?

When we checked it's only the Amazon ad that mentions a pair but either way, it's fine. We'll both have more light, so that's a win for us... and if you can't get rid of the lines on the one you're using, you still have a spare to replace it with while I've already told my DH to hold it with a tissue as @toileandtrouble suggested.

:D

Sewbee

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 13:37:44 PM »
The burnt smell from bulb happened to me, too with the Bernina 830. New bulb solved it.

jintie

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2019, 15:06:33 PM »
I have that 1015 manual lightbulb inserter, and have used it. To remove the dud bulb, use it to push up and twist gently.

Then you use it again,  to push the new  lightbulb up into the narrow space without breaking the glass.
Rottweiler with scissors