The Sewing Place

Christmas Craft 2019

datcat23

Christmas Craft 2019
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:11:48 AM »
Schedule, plan, prepare  ...... and craft.

Its another year, and its time to start prepping for xmas.  (I know I freaked people out with starting in June last year, so I held off until the second half of the year ......  well technically).  Its a long way from xmas I know.  For me in Australia its freezing cold, and for those in the Northern Hemisphere, you are feeling the unfamiliar experience of a summer heatwave. 

This year I have decided that I will be implementing a policy of "mindful spending". Rather than banning myself from buying things, I will look at how and when I spend. So my first step, is to continue a habit I have had for quite a few years, and that is planning crafty gifts for a large portion of my xmas gift list. But, in order to be successful at a crafty xmas, you need to plan well ahead, and start sewing early.

So for recording sake, I have decided on my gifts for work friends this year. They will be getting a cafe quality drill apron, with embroidery on the bib, or a matched set of embroidered potholder and tea towels. I recently invested in some xmas napkin embroideries, so maybe a few sets of table napkins too.  I will probably do more thread lace bauble covers, as they were popular. I am also planning a new angel (embroidered thread lace and organza) for the tree, and depending on how complex that is, I may do one for my MIL. I think a silky nightie and robe for my daughter and niece, and perhaps satin boxer shorts for hubby, my boy and the nephews. Its my brother's turn for a quilt, and I really need to get my own quilt done. Well, thats probably enough.

I have also decided to make simple gift bags this year, using fabric I already have, to cut back the amount of rubbish I create. 

I have opened up this topic, to inspire and records.  Feel free to contribute, not just sewing, but any craft you use to gift to others (or yourself).
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

BrendaP

Re: Christmas Craft 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
I applaud you for being so organised.  If only I could get myself into gear.

Handmade gifts take time to make, whether you sew, glue, paint, bake or anything else, it takes time so you have to start early.  0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:13:35 AM »
I remember last year I was horrified when you started this BUT at Christmas I was very grateful as you had spurned me on to do a few Christmas things much earlier than I usually even think of them.

So Thank you for starting again this year, usually I am horrified by Christmas in July sales etc but this is different.

I am considering beading some jewellery for the girls at work but will spend some time thinking.  I do not do many presents as I do not have a big family

maliw

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 11:46:19 AM »
I was only thinking a couple of days ago that it was six months to Christmas and now here you are getting organised. Me ? I'm going to forget it until September when cakes will be made and left to 'fester'.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

jintie

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 12:28:17 PM »
Im thinking of Japanese cloth wraps instead of wrapping paper. At simplest, a an overlocked square big enough to wrap a present.
Rottweiler with scissors

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 13:04:46 PM »
I have a minimal 'to-make' list, jacket, trousers, shirt, foam cushion covers, and once that's done I will turn my attention to Christmas. Definitely by August crossing fingers behind back
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 14:10:27 PM »
Ah, @datcat23 , I remember being shocked last year when you started that topic.  But I had reason to be grateful to you as you sowed the seed into my meagre brain and I did in fact make up a whole bunch of gift bags for Christmas which went down a storm and which means I won't have to worry about wrapping paper etc this year (at least for some gifts, not sure all the recipients obeyed my instructions to return the bags to me  0_0 ) .

We saw my son-in-law yesterday - a couple of years ago I made him a Dr Who themed shirt which he loved and which he was wearing.  My daughter mentioned that he would love another one, so I think I will make him one of those for Christmas (will have to measure him properly this time though; last time it was purely guesswork as it was a surprise and I hadn't realised what a very unusual shape he is  :D ).  Then I got thinking about DD, she has always coveted my silk dressing gown so I think I will make one of those for her. 

So thanks, Dani, for starting this topic even though the thought of Christmas makes me want to scream and run for the hills at the moment..... xxx

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 17:03:04 PM »
I started with Halloween in June - the little mouse witch ornaments only need their eyes painted and then they can be spray sealed.  The cats with pumpkins are well under way.  The mouse scarecrows have barely been touched.  Since I have my paints & brushes out, I started on an Easter bunny ornament.  On my painting list are Christmas ornaments, a Mrs. Claus figure and a tall standing Santa with his list.  There are also ornaments that need a paint touch-up due to chipping - OK some suffered more than chipping :'( - there was an incident a few years ago where I knocked a tray of fully painted ornaments and they flew into the metal base of my sewing chair  :'( :'( - several reindeer lost their heads.  I need to spray seal the pink Christmas village that I painted last year and get the fake snow on the roofs.  On my sewing list are Christmas tree skirts, table runners, and printed panels for wallhangings(Christmas & Halloween).  Looking at my list of stuff to do, I'm going to be working like one of Santa's elves.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Ann

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 21:16:40 PM »
I'm not sure what we are doing for Christmas this year. I will make some items that family wants but will probably give gift cards also.

I plan on making DD a boot bag for her horse's vet wraps and pro boots that protects their legs. I hope to find fabric in the stash for that. DDIL wants tea towels to hang on her stove. I'm going to do some Pinterest snooping for other gifts so we will see what I come up with.

Thanks @datcat23 for starting this thread.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

RJR_38

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 21:42:42 PM »
I want to make my niece (6) and nephew (5) a quilt each - but not decided on pattern or fabrics yet. Think I will wait until I have been to the quilt show in case I nab some good fabric there. I want something simple - probably involving unicorns for my niece.

I know that some family members will also want a bag. So far I have only made variations of totes or small zipper purses so want to try and find something else for a semi confident beginner lol

Ann

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 10:38:00 AM »
One firm request in for this Christmas. DD asked for a new lunch bag which I will make for her. It means buying fabric for it but I'm okay with that. She said she'd love another bag for her horse trailer but it's #2 on her list.

Here is the lunch bag I made her and will be doing the pattern again.

Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Nevis5

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 11:16:38 AM »
@Ann  you make the most fantastic things!  I would love to be related to you  :devil: x
  • Ann likes this

datcat23

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 12:33:47 PM »
This has come about, as a result of a conversation at my crafty club last week.   We were doing a simple sewing night, making fabric gift bags.   I have made these in the past for small gifts, around the size of a credit card holder, but in the reality, they can be just about any size you want them to be. 

Gift bags by Dani, on Flickr

One of the ladies asked if you could use the technique for bigger items, and it was generally said that a wide item would need  too much height in the bag to draw in and tie nicely, and it would cease to be cost effective. 

I realised that this quite pertinent for me.  While I have some crafty gifts planned, I have already invested in some purchased learning gifts for my nephews, which come in reasonably large boxes.  It occurred to me, that rather than making a gift bag that potentially will be a waste of fabric, I could make each boy a pillowcase in their favourite print.  I could then slip the purchased gift into the pillowcase, tie a ribbon around the end like a gift bag, or, fold the excess fabric flat over the gift, and then use a large ribbon to tie the gift securely.  The boys would have their toy, and a pillowcase that they could use. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 12:36:54 PM »
What a great idea @datcat23 !

Might have to steal that one!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

jintie

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 15:23:19 PM »
Datcat23, great idea, and if you make a pair, you could fold the second one inside.
Rottweiler with scissors