The Sewing Place

Christmas Craft 2019

Nevis5

Re: Christmas Craft 2019
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 19:07:38 PM »
That is a great idea @datcat23  !  I might steal that when I need to make more bags (mine just had a drawstring and I made them in varying sizes to accommodate different pressies ).

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 20:12:09 PM »
@jintie 's suggestion of Japanese wrap cloths and @datcat23 's gift bags have caused a selection of Christmassy and other inexpensive fabrics to drop into my shopping trolly with The Textile Centre   ;) and of course I had to make the order big enough to get free postage  0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

datcat23

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 22:42:45 PM »
Steal away everyone ....... the more we use (rather than just stash and stroke) fabric, the less paper etc we use, and that has to be good for the environment. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Ann

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 10:16:53 AM »
@Nevis5, thank you.  I have had the best luck at finding some really neat tutorials for gifts.

The triangle bag can be found here. You can find my tutorial here on how I did the bottom.

Look under Craft Projects and Christmas Once a Month to get links to lots of sites I've found over the years.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 10:23:57 AM »
I realised that this quite pertinent for me.  While I have some crafty gifts planned, I have already invested in some purchased learning gifts for my nephews, which come in reasonably large boxes.  It occurred to me, that rather than making a gift bag that potentially will be a waste of fabric, I could make each boy a pillowcase in their favourite print.  I could then slip the purchased gift into the pillowcase, tie a ribbon around the end like a gift bag, or, fold the excess fabric flat over the gift, and then use a large ribbon to tie the gift securely.  The boys would have their toy, and a pillowcase that they could use.

I think pillow cases are a brilliant idea until you have my family. I make them and they put them away as they are too nice to use.  :S DGS has two cute pairs that have never been on pillows. I have made them reusable grocery bags for gifts and they love and use those. They have become my go to gift bag.
Stash Busting 2023

Efemera

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 13:17:40 PM »
Talk about come full circle... we used to put a pillow case at the bottom of the bed for Santa to fill.. that was back in the 50s. No money then for fancy wrappings.

Lowena

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 13:55:08 PM »
We too, in the 1950s had a pillowcase full of presents... buut.... they were all wrapped in Xmas paper and then put in the pillowcase  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

datcat23

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 12:26:28 PM »
Evening all ...... I am sat in front of the telly, supervising the cricket.  Tonight its the Womens Ashes ODI, but over the last few weeks, it has been the Mens World Cup.  Normally, I can't sew when watching telly, but I decided that I needed a solution.  I got out a folding table, my Featherweight, and some left over bits of fabric, and put together some fabric gift bags, ready to pop a gift into, while watching.  I have a baby quilt to make so I thinking of sewing this way more regularly.   

Mind you, there is a lot more sewing in these bags, than is really needed.  Because its a straight stitch machine, I can't finish the edges.  So the CB and base seam .... are french seams.   :D  Yes I know, totally overboard.  I think for the next batch, I will sit and overlock the edges, prior to bringing them out to sew, so that I only have to stitch seams once.

Gift bags by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Nevis5

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 12:47:05 PM »
Haha @datcat23  they will be super hardwearing though!  and very glamorous :)

Vezelay

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 13:23:23 PM »
Thanks for the reminder about starting early @datcat23 . Two years running I ended up sewing half a dozen items the week before Christmas - so stressful. I'm running out of ideas now so need to get my thinking and sewing caps on soon.

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 21:43:58 PM »
The mouse witches and cats on pumpkins are all painted.  Now, if the rain will stop, I can take them outside and spray seal them.  The Easter bunny ornament is coming along - her fur is cream with a butter yellow dress & bonnet with pale blue trim.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 15:48:04 PM »
Steal away everyone ....... the more we use (rather than just stash and stroke) fabric, the less paper etc we use, and that has to be good for the environment.

I've been stealing!  This little lot is made entirely from stash.  I've no idea what might fo into them yet so I've made a variety of sizes - according to the size/shape of the Christmassy fabrics I had.

Two pieces of fabric per bag, three sides overlocked, a small hem made at top, tape casing stitched inside an inch or so from the top, sides and bottom seamed, ribbon threaded then pressed to look nice 0_0
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 16:02:48 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

datcat23

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2019, 11:39:34 AM »
Hey everyone, we have been a bit quiet in here.  I haven't done much on my xmas sewing, mostly because I have been working on wedding outfits.  I haven't finished totally, but decided when I came home from work, that I just didn't have the patience for recalcitrant linen. 

These are purchased, brand new drill aprons (found at a charity store ...  :O  )  embroidered with some purchased single colour files.  I could do these designs as pot holders too.   I actually stitched out 4 tonight, but the other two are on white aprons, and I just don't think they look as good.  Will need to source some more aprons.

Apron green by Dani, on Flickr

Apron gold by Dani, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:28:37 AM by Iminei »

Ann

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 16:24:29 PM »
@datcat23, love the embroidery on the aprons.

I've been stalled on Christmas gifts as DD hasn't given me a clue as to what colors she wants. Her only comment was a dark bottom on her lunch bag. Nothing on her boot bag. Frustrating.

Stash Busting 2023

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2019, 23:05:23 PM »
Easter bunny ornament is done - she's really sweet.  The mouse scarecrows are taking forever - they are so detailed - but they will be worth it in the end.  It feels good to complete the projects that my Mom couldn't.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters