The Sewing Place

Christmas Craft 2019

Lachica

Re: Christmas Craft 2019
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2019, 08:38:36 AM »
Those are lovely Dani, what thoughtful gifts.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

datcat23

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2019, 04:14:51 AM »
My house guest has gone home, and I have my sewing room back.  So time to really get in, and get some of the xmas sewing done.

First up, was a set of embroidered napkins for my BIL and his new wife (whose wedding we attended in August).  The embroidery is the family crest.  The navy with silver, was the colour the groom wore.  I have done the same embroidery file in red on some white napkins from the wedding, as that matches their kitchen decor.

table napkins by Dani, on Flickr

And a set of applique table napkins.  This set is a secret gift exchange present for a crafty friend, who is crazy about teal.  I will be making more of these, using up some xmas scrap fabrics from previous years.

xmas table napkins by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Lachica

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2019, 20:40:11 PM »
Lovely Dani.
Mary

mums sewing machine

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2019, 18:05:38 PM »
Wow this thread is wonderful
So much inspiration
x
No such thing as too much fabric

hernibs

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2019, 20:55:06 PM »
My Christmas plannig is not quite sewing but does involve thread.  I'm learning tatting in order to make little motifs to go on cards. I started by using a shuttle as I've been shown quite a few years ago.  Found it difficult but persevered. 

Then I found a left handed you-tube video and trid that to see if it was easier.  Not really.

I accidentally started a needle tatting video.  That appealed to me - seemed to make more sense so I ordered tatting needles.  They came quickly and it was a revelation!

I've done a few little pretty flowers.  Next to try snowflakes, trees and angels.

I tried tatting too Bogwoppit - quickly lost interest!
  • Ann likes this

Ann

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2019, 21:36:13 PM »
DD's dog goes to Doggy Day Care when she and DSIL are working. He can now take his own bag with what ever dogs take to day care. Food for sure.

Now on to making DD a bag for her horse trailer.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

datcat23

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2019, 05:34:51 AM »
Its not long until November, and the xmas sewing needs to ramp up.  My sewing room is still in disarray, but I am working with it at the moment, and choosing not to stress. 

A set of xmas placemats, with applique baubles.

Xmas Napkins by Dani, on Flickr

Mostly, I have been working on my work friends gifts, however, I switched to family this weekend.  This is the first of two pillowcases for my nephews.  In my quest to avoid gift wrapping paper this year, these will actually be the wrapping paper for their gifts.  A couple of strategic pieces of tape, and a big ribbon wrapped around, and the wrapping can be used after the present is opened.  I was working out a solution on the fly, for not having a big enough piece of fabric.  The print being sideways will bother me, but I am sure my nephew will not give a flying fig.   

Tay's pillowcase by Dani, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 05:36:27 AM by datcat23 »
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

datcat23

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2019, 04:02:58 AM »
I am distracting myself, debating if I give in to my inner obsessive, and fix that pillowcase.

I was planning to make some additional aprons, but came across these denim aprons at Target, so figured I might use those.  I also invested in some more files, just for a change.  Think I need to choose brighter thread colours though.

denim apron blue by Dani, on Flickr

datcat23

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2019, 04:58:42 AM »
OK, I gave in my inner obsessive .......   Just had to make sure the print was up the right way to match the name.  Very happy I decided to fix this.

Pillowcose - corrected by Dani, on Flickr

datcat23

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2019, 20:51:24 PM »
Slowly getting through the list.  I need to do a stocktake this weekend, and decide if I need any more.  This one is for my manager.

I need glasses by Dani, on Flickr

I love these denim aprons.  The black ones show up the embroidery beautifully, but these denim ones seem so soft but sturdy, and ..... unfussy.  Not sure that makes sense.

I have just been appointed to a new job, but I will still gift these to the girls at my current work, as they have been great support for the year. 

datcat23

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2019, 20:54:15 PM »
I got some more bags sewn last weekend.  I am wondering if I will have enough though.  I think I underestimated just how much I give at xmas time. 

Gift bags by Dani, on Flickr

Lachica

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2019, 20:42:08 PM »
They're great Dani. I'd make some, but I still have 10 rolls of Xmas wrapping paper. I'm not buying any more but it'll be at least a couple of years before I need to make gift bags.
Mary

Ann

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2019, 11:55:08 AM »
I'm using up the last of the wrapping paper this year. That will be it as it goes into the landfill as it can't be recycled. I will go with cloth bags or brown paper and colorful cheap satin ribbons. At least the ribbons can be used year after year.

I'm getting down to the last of the Christmas sewing. Pajama pants for DGS, a reusable grocery bag for DDIL's parents, and a small item for DDIL. I'm shutting down the sewing room to clean it up the last couple of weeks of December. It will be taken apart, scrubbed, and everything put back in neatly.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Greybird

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »
I am using printed brown paper wrapping this year. Definitely no glitter!

Lowena

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2019, 12:59:35 PM »
Same here
Triumph of hope over experience :D