The Sewing Place

Butterick B6026

Holly Berry

Re: Butterick B6026
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 10:49:03 AM »
@b15erk I love the contrast on the blouse, great idea.

You could try using the bodice from the sleeved version and cut away for the desired sleeveless armhole. However it could be gaping if the correct chest size hasn’t been used and a FBA done.

The FBA (SMB) adjustment isn’t difficult. Ignore the pin tuck/detail markings, but make sure that the bust point is marked. I believe it is on the pattern, if not, the top pin tuck points to the bust point, so use this as your line 2 of the FBA. Proceed with the FBA as normal. You may have to lower the bust point if that’s what you normally have to do. The pin tucks will now have moved. Redraw the middle pintuck along the waist line and the top pintuck pointing toward the bust point. Use the spacing on the side seam of the original pintucks, but depending on the FBA they will radiate wider, towards the CF. Then place the second pintuck mid way between the top pintuck and the waist pintuck. The fourth pintuck is equidistant from the waist and the fifth equidistant from the fourth. The waist dart is the longest and the top and bottom dart the shortest.

Now pin the front and back at the shoulders and side seams, and pin in your pintucks. The size of the pintucks are the same for all sizes. You may find the back is too short now, don’t worry at this stage. Check to make sure the CF meets your CF. Mine was a little out, so I cut down from the neck towards the bust point and straightened the CF. Fill in the resulting V with paper. Then redraw the pintucks. I used the same neck points, but found I had to angle slightly towards the CF so that the extra fullness pointed towards the bust point.

To remedy the back, cut along the lengthen/shorten line and adjust until the side seams are level.

Hope that helps

Procrastination get behind me

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 10:56:06 AM »
@Holly Berry , thank you so much for the information!  I think it's too late to save this blouse, but it was only meant to be a toile anyway.  I just didn't think to check the depth of the armhole... :S

I'm going to have to make pattern changes as I think the shoulder seems a bit wide as well.  I wouldn't be too bothered, but I would like to make a couple of these blouses.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 16:33:57 PM »
Well, the second iteration of this blouse is underway after a couple of pattern adjustments.

But, all is not going well this afternoon.  It was OK, until I began to install the collar and stand, and then disaster.

Could I fit this?  No chance.  I've removed it at least six times, and I have no idea where I'm going wrong.  The first one went on no trouble, this one is awful, and I'm seriously considering cutting a new stand, although I can't see it making much difference.

It's done for now, but the topstitching is all over the place because of the varying finished widths of the stand.  I don't know whether it's stretched out, pulled out, or just not sewed very well. 

I've started a sleeve for now, but that isn't going well either...  :( :S ><

I think I may finish the blouse of and then see how bad the collar and stand looks.  Definitely losing the will to live today.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ros

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 17:31:24 PM »
Oh no! Hope it runs a bit more smoothly when you pick it up again. I found this pattern in the discount box in Abakhan Mcr half an hour ago. Now wondering if it was in there for a very good reason.

Kwaaked

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 18:42:36 PM »
This is why I have 2 or 3 projects going at the same time, even when I am sewing for pay.

If one gives you hell, move to something easier.

Nevis5

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 19:40:57 PM »
Hmm, @b15erk  sounds like a trip to the Sin Bin for that blouse to me.    Maybe you'll feel more like tackling it in a day or so.  Good luck x

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 21:20:24 PM »
Totally frustrated tonight. I set the sleeves in beautifully,  but didn't try on, just went ahead and overlocked.

Sleeves were set in really nicely, but inside out!

I've just spent the last hour unpicking.  :S >:)

Tomorrow is another day - said Scarlet!

Jessie
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:58:56 AM by b15erk »

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 09:06:28 AM »
Unpicked and re-pinned last night, and re-sewed the sleeves this morning.

Unsure what to do about the collar and stand, it's not very nice, but I don't know if I can face unpicking it again.  :(  Maybe I'll leave it until the blouse is finished and then decide what to do.  I'm pretty sure I won't be happy with it.  :S

@Ros , it's not the pattern which is at fault, it's me!  The toile I made went together beautifully, but for some reason, this one refuses to play nicely.  The pattern is quite easy, I just seem to be making a meal of this one.

Jessie

Holly Berry

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 10:06:17 AM »
I always find top stitching where both sides need to be perfect tricky. When I made the blouse I top stitched the outside and hand stitched the inside.

If I make it again, which I probably will, because I love the pattern, I will turn under the seam on the inside of the stand and top stitch that and then attach the outside. Then I’ll handstitch the inside collar, but it will still look top stitched. Well that’s the theory.

Sewbee

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 10:18:59 AM »
Love this blouse! The placement of the darts is lovely!

b15erk

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 09:10:29 AM »
Ok girls, I'm calling this one done.  The collar isn't 100%, but my hair is shoulder length so it won't be so noticeable.  I'll use it for work - in fact I'm wearing it now.

I love this pattern, and all the problems I have had are of my own making.  This one is cut as a size 18, but I think I could have easily gone down to a 16.  It all comes down to my not wanting things to be too small.  :(

The fabric, I think it's a poplin, isn't so soft as the cotton I used on the first one, and it does crease, but I love the colour. I would like one in a Chambray, but as I'm stashbusting, that may have to wait a while. I used snaps again for fastening, and I think they work well.

For now, I have a little list of projects that I want to make, so the next one will be some time coming!

Jessie

Greybird

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 09:20:10 AM »
Looks fine to me!

Holly Berry

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 09:28:56 AM »
Looks good  :)