The Sewing Place

Monarch jacket

Vezelay

Monarch jacket
« on: July 01, 2019, 18:08:44 PM »
 This is the Indiesew Monarch Jacket, one of my favourite recent makes - and definitely one I can see myself wearing a lot outside of midsummer. I posted about the pattern here when it came out in April and I felt you weren't fans of the style so lets see if I've won anyone round...It's meant to be a boxy cardi/bomber jacket cross.

I made a straight size 4, just added 1" to the length and 5 snaps instead of 3 (good suggestion from @BrendaP). The fabric is a ribbed cotton/lycra jersey from dressfabrics.ie which was lovely to sew with - a less stable knit than recommended but I think it works. I bought the same in petrol and am considering making another. The jeans are my stretch denim Elle/Eleanore pant cross with a back yoke and useful back pockets - worn continuously since completion last month!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 18:45:34 PM by Vezelay »

SkoutSews

Re: Monarch jacket
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 18:51:33 PM »
Very nice! I like the deep band on cuffs and hem. Useful cover-up for cooler summer days.
Was it straightforward to make up?

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 19:36:23 PM »
Quick and dead easy @SkoutSews. Raglan sleeves are always a cinch to sew and the overlocker helped. The hardest bit was attaching the snaps with hammer and a cotton reel (found that method on YouTube) after realising my lovely new Vario pliers didn't have the right attachment bits!

I've been disappointed with the fit of several indie patterns (why do they come up so small?) but this was spot on. The collar needs at least 40% stretch - my fabric had more) so you might need to use a ribbing for that.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 19:53:27 PM »
I don’t like the deep bottom band but that’s an easy fix. Looks like a very wearable jacket.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 20:18:41 PM »
That's a very nicely made jacket.  I'm glad you did the extra snap; they would have been very widely spaced otherwise.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 20:55:11 PM »
I don’t like the deep bottom band but that’s an easy fix. Looks like a very wearable jacket.

Yes you could easily halve the depth of the band and sleeves and it would have a different look. It's certainly an idea.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 23:26:23 PM »
Looks good, nice colour on you @Vezelay   How about one made from a panel print, without the deep band? It would have a very different look.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.