Birthday Party Dress

Manuela

Re: Birthday Party Dress
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 14:22:32 PM »
That dress looks gorgeous!

Francesca

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 18:58:34 PM »
A proper pic, taken before hemming. I need to wear it again (it's just gone in the wash) so I can get a nice picture of it.

Lachica

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2019, 20:19:31 PM »
Very nice. You should be very pleased with having cracked the wrapper bodice.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Francesca

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2019, 20:32:55 PM »
I'm so happy I have! I already have two more fabrics I want to try out this style with. I'm going to make a lilac peplum top version in polyester crepe and a black short dress version in viscose (I think I'll need to rethink the neckline finish on the viscose because the poly crepe can handle being taught without over stretching but I think viscose will need more support).

Manuela

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 00:38:33 AM »
Wowsie, your hard work paid off, you got yourself a TNT pattern there that will look different in every print @Francesca. Very well done indeed.

Nevis5

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »
It's beautiful @Francesca  ! and the blue is gorgeous.  The fit looks amazing too.  Perfect!!! xx

Francesca

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2019, 11:33:57 AM »
The bright blue is definitely my favourite colour  :loveit: I have had this fabric in my stash for a long time and I'm pleased I finally found a dress to do it justice. I've had a few failures recently with fabrics I really loved and then the dress turned into a disaster. It's solidified my thinking that a toile is always needed and it's always worth perfecting the fit entirely. (I'm thinking about the Sew Over It Doris dress which I spent weeks perfecting but it's one of the nicest fitting dresses I have... I am going to continue to put the effort in rather than rushing to make something quickly).

Francesca

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2019, 11:24:13 AM »
It survived the wash! That's always the conclusion of a good homemade garment for me... does it come out of the washing machine still put together...

I'm going to make another one of these hopefully as soon as I've finished my current project. I spied some floral fabric in my stash that I think will work really well for it.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2019, 13:58:55 PM »
Nice to see it full length. 
So was there a secret to getting the wrap right?

Francesca

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2019, 14:21:55 PM »
If you read this whole thread you can see lots and lots of adjustments. I did three toiles. Pinching out fabric here and there, transferring it over to the pattern etc.

Here's an album I took of some of the construction pics though they are not particularly useful without text. I aim to write a blog post at some point: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fU4GC7MFAmXFYn8V9