The Sewing Place

Trying to squeeze pattern pieces onto not enough fabric

b15erk

Re: Trying to squeeze pattern pieces onto not enough fabric
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 09:06:04 AM »
Yup, all of the above!  Even if I have plenty of fabric, I like to be economical with the layout.

I've pieced collars, reduced skirt fullness, added a crotch gusset (usually pyjamas).  The trousers I have on, have the pattern going one way on the front and another on the back - if anyone notices, they are far too close!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »
I have also stitched the left-overs together, say the edges left over from cutting out large pieces, if they're wide enough to make a decent sized usable piece. You will have a seam in an unusual place which I quite like as it makes your garment unique. Is it just me who likes their clothes to look home-made?  :P
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
Is it just me who likes their clothes to look home-made?  :P

Self designed, original or unique!

For some odd reason home-made is good for cooking but second-best for sewing.  :ninja:

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 10:51:05 AM »
Homemade sounds c***py but handmade sounds superior  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 12:10:05 PM »
Yes - funnily enough I came to exactly this conclusion the other day!  With clothes 'homemade' says 'excuse the defects', but 'handmade' says, 'look at the quality'!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 14:47:45 PM »
How about 'made to measure'?  Good enough for Savile Row.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Kwaaked

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 20:56:36 PM »
@toileandtrouble that's what I tell my kids when I make it.  My son is all about the term bespoke (which I do make him a real bespoke shirt once a year so he can look not like he should live in my basement), my daughter, well, not so much.  She will proudly tell the world her mom made it.