The Sewing Place

Another one bites the dust

Ploshkin

Another one bites the dust
« on: April 18, 2017, 17:04:07 PM »
About last October I was pleased to find a small quilting fabric shop had opened in a nearby small town that I pass through reasonably often.  I've been a fairly frequent customer (especially for the mystery quilt) and it was good to only have to travel 15 miles for a reel of thread rather than 30+
Today I passed on my way back from somewhere and it was empty, gone, closed, no more.  Ho hum, that's life.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lantana

Re: Another one bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 17:16:06 PM »
Oh that is sad Ploshkin!  :(
Was there a sign in the window to say if she'd moved? It's the rates that can be the killer of small start up businesses. I'm lucky to have a craft shop with a reasonable supply of fabric, and of course haby stuff, just 10 minutes walk away. Whenever I miss where I used to live in Wales I count my blessings on that one!

L :vintage:

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 18:50:45 PM »
Aww what a shame Ploshy, probably business rates as Lucky Lanty says ( 10 min walk!!  :o ) My nearest emporium is 15miles away too and the bu**r there is having to pay to park  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 19:25:31 PM »
Bummer!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:45:48 AM »
Paying to park? What a pain in the butt! :(
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »
I hate seeing any shop close down, but fabric shops are so thin on the ground now, we need more not less.  My own town used to have loads of fabric and habby outlets, now we're down to one of each.

Also, having to pay to park seems to me one of the main reasons shops are closing down.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 11:35:09 AM »
Definitely the main reason down here. The 2 small towns which are thriving the most are the ones with an hours free street parking

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 15:21:36 PM »
Also, having to pay to park seems to me one of the main reasons shops are closing down.

Unfortunately people abuse free parking.  I have a little street near me with shops and free parking but all the spaces are filled up with commuters' cars who then continue their journey on the bus to North Greenwich station.  The council had proposed a two hour limit, but I think it was defeated as nothing has changed.  :(

Missie

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 16:43:19 PM »
The council had proposed a two hour limit, but I think it was defeated as nothing has changed.  :(

Blimey, our council seems to have free reign to do what it wants.  About 4 years or so ago, they put up the parking charges something like 150%, no consultation, it was just done and we have hoards of traffic wardens regularly checking all the restricted parking zones - it is a cash generator!

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 14:06:20 PM »
Mostly free parking over here with the exception of the big shopping centres but they usually give the first 2 hours free and cripes, if you can't get all your shopping done in 2 hours I reckon there's something amiss with your time management...unless we're talking fabric perusal and purchase of course! ;)
Little independent fabric stores are few and far between these days. I remember years ago when every large shopping centre/complex always had at least 2 fabric/craft shops but these days the centres are filled with cafes and kitchen décor shops.  :\
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 18:55:00 PM »
We pay to park almost everywhere  :(
I try to support my 2 local( ish ) fabric shops ( one a half hour drive away and the other one 45mins away ) but sometimes it's just advantageous to buy online  :|