The Sewing Place

James Bond dress

Lizzy777

Re: James Bond dress
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 11:06:08 AM »
@Francesca

I wanted to post this link the other day as I thought the vintage pattern was similar to the skirt you were looking at.
https://vintagepatterns.fandom.com/wiki/Vogue_1107_B

I do have a much better link with more Lanvin and lots of interesting information too. But it says not secure at the top of the other link but not sure that is an issue from what I have been reading? The link I have posted above is ok.

lizzy

Francesca

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 12:19:40 PM »
@Francesca

I wanted to post this link the other day as I thought the vintage pattern was similar to the skirt you were looking at.
https://vintagepatterns.fandom.com/wiki/Vogue_1107_B

I do have a much better link with more Lanvin and lots of interesting information too. But it says not secure at the top of the other link but not sure that is an issue from what I have been reading? The link I have posted above is ok.

lizzy

Thanks for the link, that is lovely! It doesn't matter if it isn't secure if the site isn't transactional (e.g ecommerce).

I've come full-circle with my plans and think I am going to try the Lekala twist bodice I made again, so it would twist in the middle with a V. Slightly less fabric needed to do that and I think I have enough. I'm going to use my sloper as a guide to get the right height and width on the Lekala top, as last time I made it it was too long and low. I should be able to layer the two patterns on top of each other and trace off a mish-mash which is the right length but has the twist front portion.

Then, like I did on the last Lekala dress, I'll make a waistband to join the two together. Advantage here is that it will be easier to match the skirt top measurement to the bodice if I draft my own conjoining waistband. I may take the skirt in a little at the darts and sides if I need to. It's a bit big, but it works.

Afterall it's only a costume. I doubt I'll wear this dress again (maybe for another dress-up party!)

Lizzy777

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 13:43:02 PM »
@Francesca

I can't find the actual page now but the cached version.
This page is brilliant.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aaUwP-v8hT4J:https://blog.pattern-vault.com/category/designers/page/7/+&cd=15&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=safari

This is a fantastic site as it has so much information re designers etc.
https://blog.pattern-vault.com/category/designers/page/7/

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 20:33:44 PM »
@Francesca

Re "Thanks for the link, that is lovely! It doesn't matter if it isn't secure if the site isn't transactional (e.g ecommerce). "

Ah thanks for explaining that to me. I tried googling it to find out what it was all about but you have explained it much better. :)

Francesca

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 16:45:22 PM »
It's nearly done!

I made the bodice last night. I just need to make the waistband in full, attach the skirt, and attach some sleeves (probably some sort of floaty cap as I don't have much fabric left but I hate sleeveless).

The bodice is the Lekala twist I made before, massively shortened the length between the shoulder and the base. Perhaps over-shortened it but it definitely fits snuggly.

My sewing machine absolutely hates this fabric. Therefore the sewing is some of the worst I've ever done... but it is held together at least! I won't waste time, it's a costume made out of polyester after all.

I did have to ask the boyfriend "do I look like a chicken drumstick" once I'd put the top and the skirt on but he said it looks good.

annieeg

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 16:50:37 PM »
that bodice piece looks pretty good to me @Francesca.
will we get to see a pic of you modelling the whole outfit?

Francesca

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 16:54:50 PM »
Yes! Though the event has a phone-ban, I believe they have a photospot outside so I will definitely take a photo when I'm in full costume. Can't guarantee it'll be any good! My theme colour is gold :)

Francesca

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 10:38:10 AM »
Finished last night. It doesn't hang right on a hanger, but I'm very pleased with it. Just in time for tomorrow!

Lizzy777

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 10:47:27 AM »
@Francesca

It looks really good. You've worked so hard on that am so pleased it has come out so well for you.
The fabric looks different now its made up. I really like it. Hope you have a great night! :)

lizzy

Missie

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 11:18:35 AM »
That look fab @Francesca  and rather va-va-voom!  Have a great night.

b15erk

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 11:21:11 AM »
It looks beautiful Fran.  Look forward to seeing you wearing it.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lachica

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 11:55:18 AM »
Looks great Fran.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Francesca

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 11:57:34 AM »
The event was amazing! Absolutely blown away by it all. My dress was perfect, very comfortable and fit the part exactly. I had no problems running around in secret spy missions

Also someone in the loo queue stopped me and asked me where my dress was from and I got to say "I made it!"

Francesca

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 11:58:14 AM »
I will attempt to fix the sideways photos when I'm not on my phone  :[

annieeg

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2019, 13:59:46 PM »
Looks great @Francesca  :)