The Sewing Place

Cutting table

sewingj

Re: Cutting table
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 09:41:01 AM »
Thanks @Holly Berry  I`m just planning ahead/dreaming at the moment!  I very much like the look of their cabinets but OH might need a bit of persuading

Elnnina

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 10:39:02 AM »
I have a Horn cutting out table one that has fold down sides, and the central part has two cupboards, extremely useful and as it is on wheels can be easily moved especially from room to room.  The difference this has made for me is vast it is only a few inches higher than my dining room table, but those inches make all the difference.  I acquired mine through the for sale columns in what was Sewing World Magazine.

I also have a Horn sewing machine cabinet, this I bought new from a sewing machine dealer.  Best thing ever!!!!  I also noticed at the time that he had many different Horn cabinets in his shop, and from time to time he sold these off and at a greatly reduced price - so it is worth finding a dealer that has several cabinets in their shop and keep your eyes open for when they may sell them off - yes these might be slightly marked, they may even be discontinued models, but what savings.  Sadly mine was too newer a model to be one of those.  Mine is an Australian cabinet that has the lid of the cabinet opening towards the back and this is supported by a fold out leg at the back of the cabinet.  Thus it makes a huge work area which I particularly wanted - mine is called  Sewmate 2 and is also known as a Koala Cabinet.

Sewingj I hope you find something that suits you.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 21:14:59 PM »
@hiltonclare Kinnarps!  I worked for them for two years, I have four of their office chairs, two of their tables, a 2d filing pedestal and two tambour fronted filing units in various places about the house.  Their stuff is great and lasts *years*.  Thoroughly recommended to anybody whose funds (or second-hand emporium) allows.

hiltonclare

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 17:16:09 PM »
@HenriettaMaria I’m so glad to hear that as it’s the one I bought!  0_0  I was told they were really good by the sales chap but I didn’t know anything about them so they could have been awful and I wouldn’t know. I’m so happy with it and surprised at just how often I move it up and down. I find it’s very handy to raise it up for threading the needle so I can get a better view and then drop it down again to sew - all at the touch of a button. I had no idea how useful that would be until I did it.  :D

Sara-S

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 13:25:22 PM »
My cutting table (which is also my cutting table) is a folding table. The height is adjustable, up to 36” and it folds down to s 2 x 2 foot square. As my home is small, I sometimes need to stow it in a closet.  This is the table;
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YJPC2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

fajita

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 13:34:07 PM »
@Sara-S  your cutting table is also your cutting table?

Sara-S

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 13:44:15 PM »
@Sara-S  your cutting table is also your cutting table?
If you are asking if it is also my sewing table, yes.  Due to limitations of space, I work small, making items such as quilted placemats and embroidered wall hangings.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Celia

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 18:55:35 PM »
My cutting table (which is also my cutting table) is a folding table. The height is adjustable, up to 36” and it folds down to s 2 x 2 foot square. As my home is small, I sometimes need to stow it in a closet.  This is the table;
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YJPC2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is really funny that is the exact table I have just bought in the uk for my cutting out, I have only used it once so far but am really pleased with it, it was very reasonable and it folds down well enough to go in my under stairs cupboard as I don’t have room to keep it up all the time.

mums sewing machine

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2019, 16:47:22 PM »
I’ve got a Skarsta from Ikea and it’s fab. I have arthritis in my spine so bending over the dining table left me in so much pain as it was too low. I’m not convinced that it’s stable enough for my sewing machine tho, so I’m currently looking for something I can use as a sewing table so that I can get completely off the dining table and stop the family moaning!
No such thing as too much fabric

Kad

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2019, 17:01:17 PM »
@mums sewing machine , I too have an IKEA Skarsta and use it for cutting out on ( at 6' tall I needed a HIGH table), rotary cutting ( same reason ) and use my sewing machines, overlocker and coverstitch on. No problems with stability at all. Wouldn't be without it  :)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

UttaRetch

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2019, 17:30:14 PM »
As part of the refurbishment of my new place, I am going to replace all the doors since they are those lightweight cardboard ones.  I am going to ask my builder to board over two of them, hinge together down the length and then mount on a rise and fall drawing table that used to belong to my brother.  The table will nearly fill the small second room, but I want a large cutting area.  :D

mums sewing machine

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2019, 18:49:02 PM »
@mums sewing machine , I too have an IKEA Skarsta and use it for cutting out on ( at 6' tall I needed a HIGH table), rotary cutting ( same reason ) and use my sewing machines, overlocker and coverstitch on. No problems with stability at all. Wouldn't be without it  :)
Ooooh interesting - I must admit I haven’t tried it, I will give it a go now you’ve said that! Thanks x
No such thing as too much fabric

Kad

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2019, 20:53:56 PM »
@mums sewing machine ,

When I got my table DH did say that if it was a bit wobbly, we could buy a second tabletop and stick it onto the original one to strengthen it up a bit. I'm still considering doing this, not to counteract any wobble but  with a double top I could stick, with double-sided tape, one of IKEA'S tape measures along the front edge to make the table even more useful  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Elnnina

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2019, 18:01:41 PM »
UttaRetch sound like a good idea with your doors, why waste them, and what a difference this will make and of course a great addition to your sewing room.  By the way I know I am late, but it is nice to have you back and I see that you have moved.  Hope your new home is just what you wanted and that you are getting it just how you want it to be.  Now here is to happy sewing and lots of it.