The Sewing Place

No more sewing for me.

Catllar

No more sewing for me.
« on: July 12, 2019, 20:02:49 PM »
I've decided today not to sew anything else for me. :\

I never, ever like the results. I'm happy as larry making stuff for clients but never satisfied for me. Today I put on variously, a pair of palazzo pants - yuk , then I tried a SA top I finished yesterday - double yuk. Into charity bag. On went bought dress - very happy.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Roger

Re: No more sewing for me.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 22:35:36 PM »
thats a shame, but then I never sew for myself either :) but I do enjoy a good sew :) and giving something that ive actually finished to someone (not a child) who appreciates it :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 00:21:45 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if I get there myself @Catllar . I certainly made nothing for myself before I lost weight.

Now I fit into rtw so much more easily I keep thinking I should try again but the top I started last autumn is still partly sewn in the drawer. It was a Silhouette Patterns top and I 'guessed' the size (which is kind of her recommended technique for stretch fabrics) and it was too tight across the bust so I was in the process of adjusting the pattern to recut the front when I needed to be sewing dance dresses again. It's still neatly folded in a bag with all the pattern pieces and pattern envelope... :[

I think it's just so much easier to make adjustments when you can see, manipulate and pin the toile on another body so I wonder if I'll ever do anything other than very loosely fitted garments for me.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 08:09:53 AM »
@Catllar that's a shame when you're so talented when sewing for others. Is it because you don't have tried & tested patterns that you know fit? Often we have a vision in our heads of how we want something to look, and when made it doesn't meet that vision - but others would say it looks/fits fine.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 12:04:28 PM »
It is a shame but I understand how you're thinking. I've got a shed load of patterns but more often than not I go back to the same ones as I know they'll fit. Two trouser patterns, five top patterns, one dress pattern, one fave jacket pattern. Quite dull really  :(
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 13:46:34 PM »
T and Ts in woven? Not so much apart from my flamenco frocks but I don't want to walk around all the time looking like Carmen Miranda! and they are such a tight and unforgiving fit, not exactly every day clothing!

Knit fabrics work fine and I'm quite a fan of Love Notions Patterns, but it's once I get back to woven it all tends to go a bit Pete Tong. I'm a sucker for pretty fabrics but  am a bit of a quick and dirty for myself ( sewing, sewing!!) Knits suit this character, woven demand more time and care and honestly life is too short ( until the next bit of pretty falls in my basket) :sew:

I'm glad I'm not alone in this and I won't get drummed out for failure to comply! have a great weekend - I'm off to sit in the pool with a cold drink.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 13:52:29 PM by Catllar »

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 19:48:07 PM »
Err, well that resolution lasted a long time didn't it? :o DIdn't even last a month!

I'm making a navy and white spotty crepe top from Love Notions - think it's the Harmony - just found the fabric lurking in a drawer. So far so good, taking my time. As  usual, I'm not doing it as per the pattern which calls for a bound neck and the back neck  opening has a self facing so I've cut a facing that deals with both issues.

blackcat001

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 15:19:44 PM »
Err, well that resolution lasted a long time didn't it? :o DIdn't even last a month!

Glad to hear it! I hope you love what you make!

Sewbusy

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 22:46:50 PM »
@Catllar  So what's wrong with walking around looking like Carmen Miranda? lol

I had a lovely vision, this brought back memories from my childhood, the only song of hers that I remember well.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBsf8DdRwpI

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 09:04:51 AM »
She's wonderful, isn't she? That is SO me when I do the shopping!

Just to add I do think I've actually made something I might wear!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 10:28:58 AM »
Complete with hat I hope @Catllar.   

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 10:33:56 AM »
But of course - you can never have too much fabulous can you!