The Sewing Place

It’s Saturday!!! 13th July

WildAtlanticWay

It’s Saturday!!! 13th July
« on: July 13, 2019, 08:12:01 AM »
Good morning all!

Bright and sunny start to the day.

I’m planning a week-end of pottering about to counter the manic driving days of the last 2 weeks.

Off to the lovely market shortly, catch up with whoever we bump into and possibly pop to a beach later.
I’m also hoping to finish my coatigan for entry to the Blue competition.
It’s basic but I’m pleased with my steady progress.

Hope the weather is good where you are and you have a lovely relaxing week-end.

Efemera

Re: It’s Saturday!!! 13th July
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 08:43:38 AM »
Dull and dark here today..off to our monthly scrapbooking crop...I’m taking the pinafore to cut out and other dressmaking stuff

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 09:11:56 AM »
A bit dull here, but no rain forecast.

We are off up to north of Mabo (Mablethorpe) to meet up with lots of poodles on the beach, the  :woof: :woof: girls love the meet ups!  Then there's tea and biscuits at one the owner's houses as she lives just up the road, so that' most of today taken care of.
I decided last night it would be nice to go away this coming week, but it turns out our favourite caravan site is full - well, they do only have 5 pitches, so not surprising, although last time we had the place to ourselves for four days.
I now need to look for somewhere else, no idea where really. 

twopence

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 09:30:32 AM »
This is the earliest we’ve been up for a week as we are heading eastwards today via Barrington Court.  Just need to finish the packing and we can be on our way by the requested 10am.  No more acting as co pilot up the narrow lanes for a while.

Have good days everyone and don’t tell me who’s on pole for the British Grand Prix as well avoid the news and watch the recording when home.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »
Hooray, the caravan site has had a cancellation  0_0 0_0 Four nights on the Norfolk coast it is then, best get organised, although we're not going til Tuesday.

Nevis5

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 10:35:00 AM »
Morning!  Dry and bright here and the hay fever is in full flow :(  I've been tracing off a dress pattern this morning (coffee break  :drink: ) and have also been surfing the Net looking for enough fabric to make it up in - it's the True Bias Shelby dress which needs almost 5 metres in the longest view  :o  none of my pieces in La Stash are anything like that big, so it's time to dust off the purse strings :)

Unfortunately my nice peaceful day is about to come to a crashing halt.  DH has tickets for some tribute band festival to which I am invited.  Truly I would rather saw my right arm off, but because we have barely seen each other in the past few weeks, I feel duty bound to go.  My poor ears :(  and I have warned him that I will be in a Bad Mood because my hay fever makes me feel awful.  Hoping that will penetrate his psyche and I will be allowed to come home after enduring only a few hours of it.  Sorry to those who like such things; it's my idea of hell.

Have a good day, everyone else!  xx

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 11:09:57 AM »
I'll be with you in hell @Nevis5  I'm stubbornly resisting DH's attempts to get me to accompany him on the Irish Welsh tractor run in Ireland next year.  I would rather spend 3 days in a bath of cold baked beans than with a load of people I hardly know talking incessantly about tractors.  Some of them put seats for their partners in transport boxes on the back of the tractor.  DH just got 'the look' when he suggested it.
It's drizzly here this morning and I was out at 8.30 collecting a swarm of bees (all of the books will tell you that bees swarm in the early afternoon and not when it's wet - I think I'll write my own book).
I'm feeling chuffed with myself - I managed to download a mobile banking app and pay a cheque in to my account on my phone.  That, for me, is momentous as I am a complete technodunce and only just about manage to make a call on my phone.
We're shearing tomorrow so I need to get organised as I will be expected to magic up some food whilst gathering sheep and rolling fleeces.
Have a good day all.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 11:51:37 AM »
Just ventured out to the shops, came home without what I had intended to buy and feeling a lil overwhelmed ...
Sooooo many people, sooooo many cars all pushing and shoving for space ... I miss my field!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 12:00:18 PM »
I've arranged for my bride to visit tomorrow for a fitting on her dress. It's hanging heavily on me now and I wake in the night worried about it. No idea why.
I'll be so glad when it's done.

I'm currently shortening an evening/prom type dress for a lady to wear to her granddaughter's wedding next week. I didn't get to do a very good fitting on it as she couldn't stand for too long for me to get many pins in it.
I pinned a small section across the front, the centre back, and the side seams. I've got it hanging off the door frame and have levelled it using my yard-stick. I'm feeling surprisingly confident that it looks OK, although I haven't dared put the scissors to it yet.  0_0

Think I'm going to pop out later to get a bit of food shopping. I've started to feel like Old Mother Hubbard...things are looking desperate.

Sandra.
xxx

Puzzler

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 12:43:18 PM »
Walked into town, had my hair cut and coloured. Bought a pair of comfy summer walking shoes as I realise now that I am older I can’t walk miles in sandals. Need more support. At a loose end this weekend. Ironing is on the agenda. Talk about dull. Can’t muster any enthusiasm for dressmaking. It involves so much paperwork, ie pattern adjustments.

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »
Silverstone is my idea of hell so I'm happy to be home alone today while the men of the family are there. Don't worry @twopence  I won't pass on any information!

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 13:03:24 PM »
Just found one of those big Liberty varuna wool shawls in a charity shop for £3. And it's in perfick condition. It is also the exact same pattern as a top I made a few years ago and which I may still have  (given that I never dispose of anything Liberty).  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Nevis5

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 17:21:06 PM »
Ooh lovely, @Tamnymore  !  Liberty varuna wool is so gorgeous.  Will you use it as a shawl or make it into something else?

Am back from the 'festival' thank goodness.  It was flipping cold in the wind and I started to go blue but was very good and didn't whinge - just waited patiently for DH to start freezing too.  Must admit was a bit surprised when he suggested coming home a bit earlier than planned but didn't argue  :S

The good news is that my hay fever didn't start making itself felt until we were on our way home - it must be tree pollen of some sort which triggers it as we've been sitting in a field all afternoon with no problem.  Hmm.

I got my dress pattern altered and ready for cutting out this morning so I consider that a good start to the day.  No fabric of course so tomorrow's plan (apart from the Mens' Final) is to trace off and alter another pattern.  We'll see.

Have a good evening everyone xx

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 17:36:32 PM »
Well I've found the matching blouse that I haven't worn for years @Nevis5 but it's a fitted style which I don't tend to wear nowadays and it's a bit too fitted  now ahem! >:) so I may repurpose the fabric from.the blouse along with another smaller scarf which I'm sure is around somewhere. Seems a shame to chop up the shawl as it's properly fringed and has a Liberty label.

Had to explain to the young lady in the charity shop why it was such an exciting find. She seemed amazed that I was able to spot it was Liberty without seeing the label. Comes from a lifetime of collecting the stuff!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

twopence

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 21:53:32 PM »
@sewingj arrived home to find that the qualifying hadn't recorded as I'd forgotten that it is a new box and now Channel 4 only has Silverstone live it hasn't had a love F1 before.  We're now going to have to stay up till 11.35pm to watch the highlights show for an hour as all that is available on catch up are the practises.