The Sewing Place

And now for something different!

Efemera

And now for something different!
« on: July 13, 2019, 17:19:49 PM »
I bought this...it’s Scuba. Way out of my comfort zone. Any suggestions for a pattern. I can’t do shift type styles.

Nevis5

Re: And now for something different!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 17:22:42 PM »
Gorgeous pattern, @Efemera  ! I'm afraid I'm no good with suggestions though; I avoid poly anything like the plague.  I have seen dresses with circle/flared skirts made out of scuba though; I think anything with simple lines should work as I understand it resists pressing.  It will be lovely, whatever you choose!

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 17:32:11 PM »
Anything a bit structural. Peplums, skater skirts, princess seams ( not necessarily all at once)
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 19:13:47 PM »
Skater skirt sounds good...

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 19:29:06 PM »
Is Scuba a lot like neoprene?
Why has it suddenly become so popular?
I’ve never actually seen it in the flesh so I’ll be very interested to hear how you get on with sewing it @Efemera.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 20:30:32 PM »
The pattern looks gorgeous.  How much fabric do you have?

IME there's scuba and there's scuba - it's a very vague sort of name for any heavy/thick smooth knitted fabric.  Sometimes it's just a double knit a bit like ponte and sometimes it's sort of like two layers of fabric bonded together.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 20:39:03 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 21:04:46 PM »
It’s a fairly substantial medium smooth Scuba... not something I’d normally wear. I have 3 meters ...probably sweat like a sweaty thing!
I’m now looking for a skater style pattern but I’ll make it calf length.

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 23:21:15 PM »
Now thats a bold choice @Efemera !

Lovely fabric, wonderful pattern.

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 05:10:16 AM »
How about a very simple spring/summer coat without lining?

Marcy Tilton’s Vogue 8934 would look great in it too.

So would her sister’s Butterick 6422...., then again that’s what I do with florals nowadays  ;)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 05:24:34 AM by Manuela »

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 08:12:26 AM »
I have never bought or sewn scuba so not quite sure what it is. I love your fabric and first thing I bought of was a kimono jacket.

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions... the more I look at the fabric the more I think I had a moment of madness....it may end up in the Marketpalce!

Sewbusy

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 13:02:43 PM »
@Efemera.  the more I look at the fabric the more I think I had a moment of madness....it may end up in the Market Place

My moment of Scuba madness results in one metre of Unicorn Rainbow Scuba and one metre Rainbow Organza. It was intended for a 5 yer old' party dress, that didn't happen. Though I'm sure I could manage an outfit to fit me, the look would be so great on a 76year old. Please tell me if you think I could carry it?  :[

I do have plenty of stiff net to boost the Organza.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 13:04:59 PM by Sewbusy »

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 16:08:27 PM »
I like scuba - although it's limited by temperature as to when you can wear it. Dressmaking scuba it's a kind of thickish ponte roma.  Proper scuba has several layers including a very fine rubber layer - I've got some of that too but it has been sitting in the box for a long time while I consider what to use it for. Quite like Manuela's coat suggestion. Shouldn't be too hard and I might even get something wearable - ( see my post  about no more sewing for me!)  Don't think a kimono would work as it is not at all soft or draped.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 10:46:12 AM »
Scuba just makes me picture wet suits - I can't get past that  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 10:49:04 AM »
I've got a piece of floral scuba in the stash waiting for inspiration too, so watching this with interest to pick up some ideas.

Wondering if perhaps a sheath dress would make up well?  - no lining needed.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.