The Sewing Place

Plastic handled bag

RJR_38

Plastic handled bag
« on: July 13, 2019, 18:21:22 PM »
So I was given a set of plastic handles and floral fabric and asked if I could make a small bag. I’ve only really made totes before but this is what I came up with. I made my own pattern and it is the first time I have made a zipped pocket. I used a thin wipeable ‘suedette’ I acquired for the lining. I’m quite pleased with it but will never use these handles again!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lachica

Re: Plastic handled bag
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 20:40:13 PM »
Looks good. Is it a knitting bag?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »
Lovely job @RJR_38 . What was the problem with the handles that led to your firm declaration of 'never again'!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »
I remember making a bag like that at school. I've since made several for family members who knit with nice remnants of cotton curtain fabric and curtain lining for the insides.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 10:39:41 AM »
Looks great!  Yes, is it a knitting bag?  :wool:  it looks like the one Mum used to use.  I have no need for such a thing as knitting is a mystery to me (along with quilting  :devil: ) xx

RJR_38

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 21:01:32 PM »
I have no idea if it is a knitting bag - I made the pattern myself and it won’t be used for knitting!

Flobear - it was the fiddly nature of trying to sew even gathers closely to the handle with fabric I had used stabiliser on to give the bag its shape.