The Sewing Place

Plastic handled bag

RJR_38

Plastic handled bag
« on: July 13, 2019, 18:21:22 PM »
So I was given a set of plastic handles and floral fabric and asked if I could make a small bag. I’ve only really made totes before but this is what I came up with. I made my own pattern and it is the first time I have made a zipped pocket. I used a thin wipeable ‘suedette’ I acquired for the lining. I’m quite pleased with it but will never use these handles again!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lachica

Re: Plastic handled bag
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 20:40:13 PM »
Looks good. Is it a knitting bag?
Mary
2019 stash used so far: about 10m stash added:5m

FloBear

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »
Lovely job @RJR_38 . What was the problem with the handles that led to your firm declaration of 'never again'!
Dogs are such a help when dressmaking!

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »
I remember making a bag like that at school. I've since made several for family members who knit with nice remnants of cotton curtain fabric and curtain lining for the insides.
Stash Busting 2019
Goal: 30 metres
So far: 5m metres

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 10:39:41 AM »
Looks great!  Yes, is it a knitting bag?  :wool:  it looks like the one Mum used to use.  I have no need for such a thing as knitting is a mystery to me (along with quilting  :devil: ) xx

RJR_38

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 21:01:32 PM »
I have no idea if it is a knitting bag - I made the pattern myself and it won’t be used for knitting!

Flobear - it was the fiddly nature of trying to sew even gathers closely to the handle with fabric I had used stabiliser on to give the bag its shape.