The Sewing Place

Recommends Needed

Lemonie

Recommends Needed
« on: July 13, 2019, 19:47:30 PM »
Hi

I need a good solid machine that does a straight stitch and a zig zag stitch.  I currently use a Singer 201K for the straight and a cheap singer from Aldi for the zig zag w2hich I use to cover the ends of webbing so it doesn't fray.  I would like to consolidate them to one machine.  I make dog equipment so it needs to be good enough to sew webbing.  I really want something solid.  My main machine is industrial walking foot but don't want to keep having to change out the needle for the smaller jobs.  I use a 22 in the walking foot.

KayK

Re: Recommends Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 22:29:15 PM »
Look for an older, metal bodied, metal geared (not plastic) machine.  There are plenty available at low prices, but they do a sterling job.  Look on eBay or Facebook Marketplace, or Preloved or Gumtree.
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 08:15:00 AM »
Suggest you look for pfaff older machines made in Germany with IDT (built in walking foot which is a simple pull down lever behind the needle shank). 
I am a total convert after using many other brands.  To me the pfaff is in the same league as the older Bernina.
Annie

Lemonie

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 00:56:57 AM »
Is the walking foot (IDT) on the pfaff optional so it would still do a zigzag stitch?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:05:33 AM by Lemonie »

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 06:55:57 AM »
The IDT ensures both layers of fabric are fed evenly - so yes, it will work with all stitches for which you use the standard foot. Pfaff feet are engineered to work with the IDT if appropriate. You'll find that the IDT won't engage with some feet (the fancy stitch foot is one of them) because it isn't needed. Clever design.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 09:27:42 AM »
I have an old Pfaff 1485cd, and it is excellent, but I'm not sure how available they still are, the IDT is indeed a wonderful thing.  The built in patterns and computerised facility is basic but very good.

I also have several old Singers with zig zag - and other pattern choices.  The ones I use most often are the 320k and the 611g which I love.  No IDT on either, but both solid machines, and you can buy a walking foot attachment.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sara-S

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 13:03:03 PM »
My Singer 4423 is a sturdy work-horse that does a couple of dozen stitches.  It’s an inexpensive machine with a metal interior, so it should meet your needs.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Sewbusy

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 13:29:51 PM »
A basic sewing machine with zig-zag, here's a couple of links for Bernina 600. Yes old but brilliant machine for your needs. Spares and attachments are easily obtainable. New old type feet are expensive but used ones are readily available. A good sewing machine technician can usually sort out any timing issues etc if needed. There's a very good reason that the Bernina mechanical machines still command high prices despite them being 60/70 plus years old.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bernina-sewing-machine-600-Vintage/183934888577?hash=item2ad35faa81:g:qPsAAOSwQHBdaOSX

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERNINA-600-Electric-Sewing-Machine/333274076760?hash=item4d98aed658:g:JKMAAOSw5B5dNhIM

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 23:48:02 PM »
Without the IDT I'd say the Bernina wins but, unlike the other brands who now have a similar device since Pfaff's patent expired (shame on you Bernina and Janome), they included it on many of their machines not just their most expensive models. So if you can find an older Pfaff (post 1968 when the 1222 model was released with it) you stand a good chance of it having the IDT.

Good luck.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Puzzler

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 12:49:28 PM »
I am aiming to buy a Juki DX7 at some stage in future, trading in a couple of machines to help fund the purchase. This has a ‘box feed’. Not sure whether it equates to IDT or not.

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 14:22:50 PM »
This has a ‘box feed’. Not sure whether it equates to IDT or not.

From what I've heard from an owner, it is certainly an improved feed system but not as effective as the IDT on all fabrics.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.