The Sewing Place

What colour thread for quilting?

Pearl

What colour thread for quilting?
« on: July 15, 2019, 20:21:47 PM »
My curved bargello is almost ready for sandwiching so I am pondering thread for quilting.  I had thought of using a variegated YLI thread as recommended by @Iminei , but most of them seem to include green.  What colour do you think would be best for this? 

TIA

Ploshkin

Re: What colour thread for quilting?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 21:00:20 PM »
I think that the star of this quilt will be the colours and the clever helix design.  The quilting can be functional rather than decorative and I would probably use a neutral colour (grey?)
How are you planning on quilting it?
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 21:11:06 PM »
Completely agree with Ploshkin..with a Bargello you really want to highlight the piecing. I would use either a soft grey or perhaps even consider using Superior Monopoly invisible thread....but only in the needle, I'd still use a neutral thread in the bobbin. It's a lovely Bargello and is going to look stunning when you've quilted it.  :loveit:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

RJR_38

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 06:35:45 AM »
Another one for the silvery grey colour. Bottom line do a great one that just ‘disappears’. I have used it when I have complex PP designs to quilt and I don’t want to detract from them,

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 06:38:46 AM »
Have you a pic of it ready for layering Pearl ???

I'm afraid I know what I would do with this beauty, but you probably dont want to hear it ...

Spoiler: show
I would quilt each colour with a matching thread in a gentle curved line, through the middle of each square, echoing the shape of that particular sweep of colour.

Never make it easy for myself do I ???   :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 08:27:52 AM »
I'm with the others, the bargello piecing is the star of the show, so a neutral grey for the quilting and nothing too fancy.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 08:42:55 AM »
No idea about the colour, but I just wanted to say that that is incredible!!!  0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 18:00:30 PM »
Thanks all for your replies.  I'm going to quilt it diagonally across each square.  I usually like to make it difficult for myself too, @Iminei  but in this case, I'm going to take the advice and go for silver grey.  It's not quite ready for its pic to be taken. 

Thanks, @Acorn.  It has been more like a jigsaw than a quilt as I've been copying Jan's quilt, like you would copy the picture on the lid a jigsaw.   :)