The Sewing Place

Linen Fold Lines fading

b15erk

Linen Fold Lines fading
« on: July 15, 2019, 15:06:01 PM »
I pulled a lovely piece of Linen/linen mix out of the stash this morning, to cut out McCalls 6696, but when I opened it out, I was disappointed to see that it looks slightly faded along the centre fold line.  :(

Anyone had this happen?  How did you deal with it?  Is it judicious cutting?  Or does it involve dying?

Pretty put out... :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Helen M

Re: Linen Fold Lines fading
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 15:09:06 PM »
Can you still get your pieces out of it if you fold your selvedges in to the centre?

I've not had fade on the centre fold but have had a crease that wouldn't press out so was visible.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 15:12:14 PM »
I think I'm going to start by putting it through the washing machine @Helen M , because I'm not sure.

It could just be a permanent crease... :(

This may take more thinking about than I had bargained for.  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ros

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 17:17:10 PM »
If you can't lose it completely is there scope to pattern place so the line is on the reverse of the button bands, so only you will know?  Depending on the colour could you maybe use a permanent marker to effectively dye it in any places that would show. Not for the purist I know but I would be worried that dying just gets you a different coloured stripe.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 17:23:59 PM »
Fingers crossed that the washing machine sorts it out.  I had a piece of jersey from Sherwood Fabrics that had what looked like a faded stripe where the edge of the bolt had been exposed.  Fortunately it washed out.  As your marking is along the centre fold line it could well be that the end of the bolt got dirty while it was in the shop.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 18:24:36 PM »
It's just gone in the machine,  so fingers crossed! 

I'll need to railroad it because it only has a border on one side. I did a very quick try against me, and it's very wide, so it may work out fine.

Probably just as well I've washed it, as it may well shrink, as it's a very loose weave.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 08:52:42 AM »
Well, it's been washed, and the bad news is, the lime is still visible, although quite faint.  :(

Fabric is measuring at 52" wide - including the border, but I have 4 yards to work with.

I've brought the pattern into work, so may get it cut out today,

Jessie

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 09:24:14 AM »
Oh that's a shame. Fingers crossed you manage to get round the fade!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 10:16:33 AM »
I’ve had that happen before.  Not a lot you can do except a work around with creative cutting.  :(