The Sewing Place

My first completed quilt - and what I learned along the way!

Acorn

Re: My first completed quilt - and what I learned along the way!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 17:51:09 PM »
I have a die cutter - one of these - which cuts out perfect shapes for me.  You have to design your quilt according to the shapes and sizes you can get, but that's not too difficult - there are squares and triangles in various sizes as well as more complicated dies.

I use it mainly for English Paper Piecing where you have twice as much to cut out and the papers have to be exactly right, but I also used it for my goddaughter's quilt, which is made up of half square triangles.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 21:11:19 PM »
@KayK you may be tempted to use precuts and it can make fabric choices easy but in my experience I've found that you can end up with a lot of uninspiring or unsuitable fabrics and not enough of the better ones.   There tend to be a lot of middling tones.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 06:33:11 AM »
KK .. is Rotary cutting a new thing for you??

If so I would stick with it , it does get better

Precuts ... mmmnnn

The trouble with PC's is, especially with Jellyrolls  (2 1/2" strips of WOF) is they start to fray the moment you open them.

Of course there are charm squares (5" sq) and layer cakes (10" sq) both of which are useful ....
and for the completely insane, Mini Charm Squares (2 1/2" sq)

Whatever problems you experienced (and we all have problems along the way with any quilt) you surmounted them with style and you must continue.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

KayK

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 12:34:10 PM »
Ah! Rotary cutters!  The problem isn't so much the cutter, its my right thumb! It is a bit of an odd shape at the base joint, as the ligaments gave way some years ago (many years of typing, hitting the space bar and mouse using!) and has no strength in it whatsoever - to watch me use a rotary is akin to a cow with a crochet hook!  I can use it with my left hand quite well, but lack the very fine control.  I have a circle cutter and compass and am just as bad at using them.  I can manage scissors fine! The only thing I managed fine was actually cutting the whole quilt before binding it!

As I have been very badly bitten by the bug and you are such a lot of enablers I have decided to spend some money on a 'Gemini' die cutter with patchwork dies.  No handle to wind........

I did also have a play with some Charm, mini charms and a layer cake - all found in the bottom of bargain bins for not a lot of money!  I found the layer cakes great for practicing free motion quilting on, and attempting to cut with my rotary cutter.

So watch out folks, another large quilt will be on its way!

I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well