The Sewing Place

Next Darkside Challenge ???

Iminei

Next Darkside Challenge ???
« on: July 16, 2019, 06:58:09 AM »
What would we like to do next in The Darkside ???

Its been very quiet in here, and I do realise i haven't been as active this year as usual ...

So please post your ideas for the next Darkside Event  ...

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

Re: Next Darkside Challenge ???
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 18:17:26 PM »
Next challenge???  I haven't finished my PL quilt yet.   :S

RJR_38

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 18:45:42 PM »
I would love to join in something and become active! Another American forum I am an active member of does a ‘boom’ which lasts 2 or 3 months.

Everyone involved sends in a fat eighth of a focus fabric and specifies other fabric colours they do or don’t want used with it. For example I might send this focus fabric   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

And say please use a solid or Tone on Tone that match in with any of the parrot colours.

We all then make a 12.5 inch block of our choice using everyone’s fabrics. At the end of the boom you get back lots of blocks using your focus fabric that you can join together to make a small quilt etc

Other things we do are table runner swaps or ‘secret pal’ swaps where we make up small boxes of goodies for each other

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 19:00:41 PM »
We've done Secret Santa, @RJR_38 , for the last two years.  It's been lovely to see what people have received.  Hopefully that will take place again this year.  I'd love to join in something like a 'boom'.  There was a star block swap in the old forum and people made beautiful quilts with the star blocks in their chosen colour. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 16:35:39 PM by Pearl »

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 19:34:12 PM »
On one of the FB dressmaking groups they had a horrible fabric swap...send your nastiest piece of fabric and see what your swap partner makes.

RJR_38

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 21:31:56 PM »
They all sound like fun! I always enjoy joining in with My American friends but postage works out so expensive so I have to restrict myself

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 21:19:18 PM »
I like the idea of an autmnal swap  :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

WendyW

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 02:15:46 AM »
They all sound like fun! I always enjoy joining in with My American friends but postage works out so expensive so I have to restrict myself

I'm also in the USA. The one swap I joined in on, they took the postage into consideration, and were willing to connect the USA people to another in the US if necessary. I was willing to swap with someone in Europe, so I don't know if there were other US people that actually were accommodated that way, or maybe I was the only American involved. Either way, depending on who signs up, it might not be required that you spend overseas postage.

RJR_38

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 06:30:50 AM »
I'm also in the USA. The one swap I joined in on, they took the postage into consideration, and were willing to connect the USA people to another in the US if necessary. I was willing to swap with someone in Europe, so I don't know if there were other US people that actually were accommodated that way, or maybe I was the only American involved. Either way, depending on who signs up, it might not be required that you spend overseas postage.

I think you misunderstood Wendy - I am also part of an active American quilting forum where 95% of the posters are from the US. Therefore postage is nearly always to America. There are always people willing to send to me in the UK which is lovely.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 09:43:40 AM »
I quite like the idea of @RJR_38 's 'boom' where each participant provides their own 'accent' fabric and at the end receives several blocks, made by different people, each block including some of that fabric.

If you are smart you'd make sure you had more of the same accent fabric to be able to pull all the assembled blocks together.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.