Lowena

Re: Very small, light, simple machine
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2019, 22:52:22 PM »
Hear hear @Greybird and it's probably what I will buy @Helen M
Triumph of hope over experience :D

StitchinTime

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2019, 09:25:46 AM »
It looks as though the 12 stitch sewing machine is "badged" for many different suppliers and has the model number FHSM-505.

The 12 stitch model appears to weigh 1.94 kg,  has 7.2 W motor and sews at up to 350 stitches/minute (do have a look at the photos of users and the machine and see if you can spot the user error!).

The FHSM-508 16 stitch version of the machine is heavier ~3.4 kg (and has the same user error in the brochure). This is mains only, and also appears to sew at up to 350 stitches/minute.

In contrast, the Hello Kitty machine weighs 4.6 kg and can sew up to 400 stitches/minute, whereas the  Singer 1306 machine is 4.3 kg and has a 70 W motor which some sites claim can stitch at up to 750 stitches/minute.

For reference, I think your main machine weighs ~9.7 kg and has a stitch speed of 850 stitches/minute (which is why I am skeptical of the Singer's speed).

Helen M

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2019, 09:33:31 AM »
Look forward to hearing how it works out @Lowena! I did think it would have been nice to have if you had a caravan or were in a holiday home.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Gernella

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2019, 10:38:50 AM »
I can understand your reasons for getting small, light  and simple @Lowena, but at the end of the day, as I think somebody has said already, you get what your pay for.  If you get there then spend the whole time having a tussle with it, especially if you have a machine at home that behaves beautifully, you will be, being polite, extremely angry.  You are a highly competent sewer, you will always expect the same with your machines.  Paying slightly more, with a heavier machine would be better, especially with it a trolley as suggested by @Francesca.

I hate chucking money away, and IMO, that would be chucking money away. 

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2019, 10:52:59 AM »
@Gernella I couldn't use a trolley due to the layout of our house, access, car and hall access and I really don't wantanything bigger than a toy machine.
My dilemma has been solved however.... I was just about to order the John Lewis one when... Stitches came round with a mini Janome machine. Her d.i.l was selling it ( practically unused ) for £25. It is a 140M. Although it has no light or needle threader, it has a full bobbin and is already threaded up, so I'll just use that until it runs out  :D :D
Hoping to try it out  (Stitches demonstrated it to me, but I won't sew with anyone watching so I haven't tried it yet )tomorrow. It'll be fine for the tiny amount of usage it will get..... I've only ever sewn on 3 machines in my life.....a Singer Starlet, and 2 Brothers, so wish me luck  :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:58:21 AM by Lowena »

StitchinTime

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2019, 11:12:03 AM »
I’m so glad you’ve got a machine sorted, @Lowena. The one you have is the same as the JL mini machine I have as Janome made the JL own label machines. If you have any questions about it just ask or if you need an instruction book, let me know. You might find that the bobbin will fit onto your Brother machine so you could use that to wind a bobbin when needed.

I’m sure it will do what you need for a monthly meeting - I’ve made many blocks on mine at guild meetings.

Edited: There’s a free pdf of the manual on the Janome.com website
https://www.janome.com/siteassets/support/manuals/other-models/inst-book-525a-sewminiefs.pdf
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:21:00 AM by StitchinTime »

Lowena

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2019, 13:29:52 PM »
Thanks so much @StitchinTime  :flower: