The Sewing Place

PFAFF 1229 syncotronic 1229

Lachica

Re: PFAFF 1229 syncotronic 1229
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 20:20:34 PM »
@annieeg that's a great shame....but how could the drive shaft be bent if it was stitching ok? This machine is built like a tank. I'd take it apart myself, if it were mine. Nothing to lose since you've had a refund from the seller. You said you had it stitching fine until the foot pedal went pop, so I'd start there. I seem to remember it was very simple inside, but I can't remember what the component was that failed in mine, I'm wondering whether it was a capacitor (rf suppression) as I know that failed in my Bernina pedal and we just cut it out & soldered back together. (Rf suppression isn't an issue with digital radio). These models are much more common in the States, there are lots of references to them on Pattern Review forum, maybe ask there?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

annieeg

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 16:30:52 PM »
I raised more questions with the dealer today about what was wrong with the machine and they confirmed the on switch was not functioning (which I knew) and that when the machine was dropped it cause damage to the circuit board which was why the foot pedal didn't work (engineer couldn't get it to work at all).
The shop doesn't want to keep it for spares and I have to collect it.
I'll probably drop it off at the nearest recycling point, but I will try and offer the feet for sale to try and recap some of my costs (£25 to engineer for investigating the problems) and diesel etc. :( :'(

Lachica

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 20:50:10 PM »
@annieeg also offer the case if it's in ok condition, and the accessory tray which is removed to access the free arm. (It lifts off a pin at the back left if you didn't already know). The foot control is also worth offering since the repair company say it's not connecting to the machine but they presumably tested it. I hope you can recoup your £25.
Mary

annieeg

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 23:19:35 PM »
Update July 28
On Friday 26 July I got the machine back from the engineer (who had declared it as "dead") and just thought I'd try it one more time before putting the accessories up for sale.  Foot pedal was unresponsive but I turned the front dial to adjust the needle position and the motor started up and it worked and the foot pedal has been working since!  I've used it yesterday and today and it seems fine.
Fingers crossed it keeps going.
 0_0.   Annie

Lachica

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 07:17:04 AM »
@annieeg so much for the engineers. Steer clear of them in future. Sounds as though there's a contact inside/ under the front dial. Does that mean you only have one working needle position? If so you'll be very limited in your choices of fancy stiches  :'(
Mary

annieeg

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 09:15:20 AM »
@Lachica I'm treading very warily with any range of stiches because I don't want to risk it non-functioning again!
I'll update with any successful stitch options in due course.... but for now I'm happy its working at all!
 ;)

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 10:01:30 AM »
@annieeg , enjoy your machine, and while you are doing so, try to research any solutions online.

I think sometimes an engineer will write off a machine as there wouldn't be any profit in it for them.  Can't blame them as the parts are sometimes difficult to locate, but they should at least be honest about the problems.

Lovely to know that it isn't going to go to the sewing graveyard yet!

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.