The Sewing Place

Scant 1/4" seam

Ploshkin

Scant 1/4" seam
« on: April 19, 2017, 10:14:59 AM »
I think I mentioned elsewhere that my Pfaff 1/4" foot does a very accurate scant 1/4" seam.
This is all the trimmings I had from 32 four patches for the mystery quilt - they are all 4 1/2" square.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

Re: Scant 1/4" seam
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 10:17:50 AM »
That's pretty good Plosh!  Which Pfaff do you have?  Mine is an old girl now 1475 CD, but I wouldn't part with her for anything.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lantana

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 10:22:14 AM »
Right that's it! I'm off to look for a Pfaff! Mind you it'd be cheaper to try sticking tape on my machine (a Janome, the 1/4 foot is NOT a scant) or to keep away from things that need to be sewn that precisely! :)

L :vintage:

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 10:47:58 AM »
Jessie, it's a Pfaff Ambition.  When I bought it the dealer wasn't able to give me a discount so he gave me 2 years free servicing and a free foot.  I must have been thinking straight for once when I chose the ¼" foot.

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »
I don't have a 1/4" foot for any of my machines. What I have found really useful is the magnets from the back of shopping note pads, the sort you stick to the fridge.  They are long and not too thick, works a treat.  I did buy a proper one but it is too thick and not long enough especially for the modern machines that have less metal on them. 
Willing but not always able :)

Lantana

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 14:17:52 PM »
Sounds like a good idea Lilian but I'm a bit wary of using magnets around computerised machines. Maybe I'm being too fussy?

L :vintage:

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 14:52:53 PM »
I understand what you mean Lantana, it did bother me when I bought the proper one, to use on my computerized machine, but it doesn't seem to do any damage.  I suppose you need to keep it away from the motor side.  I've had no problems with it. Tape always left a sticky patch so I changed to this. 

Note to myself:  get a 1/4" foot.
Willing but not always able :)

rubywishes

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 08:39:58 AM »
Yep, I've always wondered whether a magnet is a good idea to have around a computerised machine.
I use about half a dozen layers of painters' tape as a guide..it's cheap from the hardware shop and doesn't leave residue when I replace it.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »
Well done Plosh...That's exactly the amount of trimmings you are meant to be left with!

Post it notes!
.... a wodge of post it notes stuck to form a barrier at the scant 1/4" mark (or whichever measure you want for that matter) work exceptionally well...and leave no residue either.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 11:37:10 AM »
I use the quilter's masking tape.It peels off cleanly and easily.
I wouldn't have a magnet anywhere near a machine
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 17:01:24 PM »
Does your machine have an alterable zigzag stitch? I alter my stitch by moving the needle slightly to the right when using the 1/4" foot. The machine shows 3.5 when sewing a straight seam and I move it to 3.7 by using the zigzag width.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 17:30:25 PM »
Can I ask what a scant 1/4" seam is?  I've noticed this term before and wondered.  And, no, I won't be going over to the dark side  :P 

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 17:39:12 PM »
With patchwork, if you sew exact ¼" seams, by the time you take the thickness of the thread into account plus the little bit you lose when the fabric is turned over at the seam, because there are so many seams the missing bits all add up and the end result can be quite a bit smaller than it should be.  A scant ¼" seam is a gnat's crochet under ¼" so that the finished article turns out the right size.

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 18:09:50 PM »
That's the official version  :angel:
If you can remember exactly which gnat and which crotchet .... you're a better man than I am Gungadin  :D
Come on Bodgey......come over and do some real sewing, you know you want to  :devil:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lantana

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 18:47:41 PM »
Does your machine have an alterable zigzag stitch? I alter my stitch by moving the needle slightly to the right when using the 1/4" foot. The machine shows 3.5 when sewing a straight seam and I move it to 3.7 by using the zigzag width.

I'm an eejit ... I remember figuring that out ages ago but had totally forgotten in recent years! duh Makes the most sense of all the solutions if you have the facility. Thanks for the reminder Maliw! To be fair to myself I'd not been doing the blocks type patchwork where it actualy mattered for some time .. all the same .... Oh the joys of ageing!

Lanty  :vintage: