The Sewing Place

Sewing machine for tutus

London58

Sewing machine for tutus
« on: July 18, 2019, 14:53:05 PM »
 :sew: hi I make classical and stretch tutus. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good machine for the job. I’m currently using the brother seventy stitches machine. It’s ok for the first few layers but then gets impossible by the last few.

Marniesews

Re: Sewing machine for tutus
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 23:07:41 PM »
An overlocker would be an absolute boon with stretch materials although you will sometimes need a sewing machine for some tasks.

If buying or space for two machines isn't a practical option, I'd strongly advise you look at the Pfaffs, specifically the ones with IDT (dual feed) which will resolve the feed issues that many other machines have sewing stretch. Pfaff invented the system and includes it in a wide range of its models. The patent ran out I believe so Janome and Bernina also have a similar feed system now but only on the very expensive models within their range.

A walking foot can often improve the feed issue associated with stretch fabrics but you can't use one with a wide variety of other feet and it's so wide that visibility and manoeuvrability can be tricky.

If you're only limitation is the budget, you can check out used Pfaffs as they have been using the IDT for decades hence their older machines are great buys (some say better than the new ones since they were gobbled up into the giant SVP conglomerate). This may mean you can manage a small overlocker too which would be a great setup. Overlockers are very sturdy mechanical machines (only a very few have any computerisation) so they are have great potential as used machines too.

Good luck! :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewbusy

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 13:58:30 PM »
What stitch are you using to attach your net layer to your tutu pants?

London58

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 14:13:19 PM »
What stitch are you using to attach your net layer to your tutu pants?

I use a zigzag stitch

London58

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 14:17:40 PM »
@Marniesews thank you. I have a brother overlocker which is good on the Lycra. 
My main issue is by layer 7 or 8 it’s really hard to feed through because the layers already on have to be held down by my elbow whilst trying to hold the tutu in place with two hands.  I should have much bigger muscles than I have.  I will look up the machines you mentioned though as I’m not familiar with them.

Lollipop

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 21:40:45 PM »
It doesn't really matter which machine you use, the middle layers of a tutu are a pig to get on!!
That said, I have a Pfaff QA2 which has a larger harp area than normal which helps. A heavy machine is good too as lighter ones end up across the table. Overlocker is useful for both stretch and structured but not essential if your machine has utility stiches.
Someone once described adding the net layers as like "wrestling an octopus" and they were not wrong.  >< Hardest part of making a tutu imho.
Was Sewnanny