The Sewing Place

Ruler Help

NatalieSews

Ruler Help
« on: July 22, 2019, 12:35:25 PM »
I have a basic creative grids 6in by 24in ruler and I want to cut 14in squares.

How does one do this and they be square?

:S

toileandtrouble

Re: Ruler Help
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:40:29 PM »
I would cut one side of 14" and then line up a sheet of paper with that edge, to give you a square corner, measure down 14" at each end of that line. Check for accuracy by measuring across the ends of those last two lines, should be 14". Personally, I'd make a paper template, if you want more than one, then just use the ruler on top of the paper for cutting.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 15:06:51 PM »
With a 6" wide ruler you have a decent width to line up with the first cut edge to ensure a right angle.  (I haven't really explained that well - I just mean use the markings across the width of the ruler on the first cut edge)
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 16:40:38 PM »
Assuming you've got a cutting board to go with the ruler then use the grid markings to check teh squareness, but as Acorn said that ruler is a diecent width to use to get true right angles.

Cut the first side - on grain and more than 14" long.
Use the ruler to establish the angle of the second side and cut it to just over 14".
Pin mark each side exactly 14" from the already cut first corner.
Now use the ruler to establish 90 degree angles from each of the marker pins, but don't cut just yet, just mark the 14" points.
If those two points are wihtin about 1/8" of each other you've cracked it and you can confidently go ahead and cut the second two lines.  If not go back and repeat taking care to line everyting up accurately.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 21:33:48 PM »
I agree with @Ploshkin - you have a wide enough ruler to use the horizontal lines to create a square. Just make sure your measuring is accurate, and check before every cut. A paper/card template is also a good idea but it might not be quite as accurate as your ruler could drift away from the side of the paper without you noticing. Just my thoughts. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

NatalieSews

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 10:47:42 AM »
With a 6" wide ruler you have a decent width to line up with the first cut edge to ensure a right angle.  (I haven't really explained that well - I just mean use the markings across the width of the ruler on the first cut edge)

Oh yeah I see what you mean, cut one side and then use the lines on the ruler to make the other lines square.

I do have a mat as well that I could use.

Thanks everyone