The Sewing Place

Half metre cuts

Efemera

Re: Half metre cuts
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 18:29:54 PM »
It’s nothing to do with reading the info..... just price the sodding stuff in meters... sell it however you like but put the meter price. It’s not rocket science  (but  apparently it is!)

Marniesews

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 00:03:17 AM »
Why can't they say £3.99 per half metre = £7.98 per meter? or whatever.  That would be clear enough.

Yes it would, that's a good compromise @BrendaP  - as long as it's not in small print! When I see the notes that prices are in half metres, they are rarely immediately next to the price - sometimes not on the fabric page or within the immediate screen view and not often emboldened in any way, none of which gives a good impression to anyone with a naturally suspicious mind.  >:)  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

wrenkins

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 07:14:51 AM »
I came across a site recently (ebay I think) that priced in 10cm increments. Very clearly too cheap to be a metre and easy to multiply up.
Bonus: if you want 1.2m or 1.4m you can have it.  :)

It is compulsory to price items such as food etc in £/kg or by unit price to avoid confusion for the consumer. It seems vendors are sidestepping in the field of fabric and calling a half meter a unit where the expected unit should, or would be expected to be, a full meter.

It's a psychological thing, as is pricing everything £xx.99.

Some might say sneaky.  8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Efemera

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 08:33:39 AM »
This is getting ridiculous @Francesca ....you seem hell bent on having the last word . I don’t write code as you probably know. Just price by the meter. As I keep saying sell it in whatever increments you like but just put what it costs per meter... no coding required! This is my last comment on the matter.. no doubt you’ll have an answer..feel free to pull the plug.

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 11:20:41 AM »
I like the system used by Fabric Guild, where the thumbnail page gives a range of prices (eg '£1.75 - £5.50', where a FQ is £1.75 and a metre is £5.50 and a half metre price is also available), and the product page has a dropdown list to select FQ, half metre or metre.  I wouldn't have thought they had a vast amount to spend on software, but they do have a solution that is clear and works well.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 18:47:53 PM »

It's a psychological thing, as is pricing everything £xx.99.

I though that £xx.99  or rather £xx-yy-99  (old pounds shillings and pence) was to make it more likely that the shop assistants would have to actually open the till to get the penny change and thus remove any temptation to just drop the bigger coins/notes into their own pocket.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2019, 21:30:26 PM »
I hadn't heard of that before @BrendaP but it makes sense (though cynical :[).
I looked it up and it's either/or.  :)
FT explanations.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!