The Sewing Place

New to me Technique Contest - 1.08. - 31.08.2019

wrenkins

Re: New to me Technique Contest - 1.08. - 31.08.2019
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2019, 20:26:34 PM »
Here goes. Wrenkins' entry for 'New to me'.

This was intended as my mug rug for the swap but the swap starts 01-09 and I finished this yesterday! Oops.

I surfed and found a picture I liked that I thought would be suitable for an Autumnal theme. Artistic talent have I none.

I drew a sketch (see above) and cobbled together a leaf template and a tree.
New techniques were the applique, making binding, applying binding and actually finishing something. It's meant to have a little wren on a branch but that was just one step too far for me. By the time I'd done the applique I was fit for nothing. It was really hard!  :o

The construction was a carry on too because I didn't want my leafy applique stitches to come through. They'd be far too visible on the back.  ><

The binding was a nightmare and was too fiddly by far. Lesson learned. Don't try to bind a mug rug!

I enjoyed doing it in a scary way but it was more a lesson in 'things not to do when you're making your swap mug rug'. In other words...Wrenkins, know your limits!  0_0

I hope you like it.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lilian

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2019, 20:36:46 PM »
@wrenkins that is lovely, if that's your first attempt you've done a brilliant job!   :) :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Lachica

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2019, 20:40:10 PM »
It's lovely and far better than my (non existent) entry.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

wrenkins

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2019, 20:40:56 PM »
Aw thanks Lillian. You're very kind. First and last I think!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lilian

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2019, 20:52:21 PM »
Aw thanks Lillian. You're very kind. First and last I think!  0_0

No no, you must try again!  I haven't done much P&Q but find it quite addictive and want to improve.  :)

BrendaP

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2019, 21:05:54 PM »
It'a lovely for a first attempt. 
@wrenkins  what do you mean by "Artistic talent have I none."?

You do have artistic talent.  You drew that leaf shape and you positioned them in a pleasing way.  You chose suitable fabrics and you jpined it all together.  That's artistic.  Keep going girl.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2019, 21:12:31 PM »
Thanks @Lachica and @BrendaP. I really need to do more stuff. If I didn't do the swaps on the darkside I wouldn't do anything at all.  :[

Lilian

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2019, 21:23:52 PM »
Lilian's Entry No. 1 (Angus)

What was the 'new to' me technique
It is all new to me. Sewing up small limbs and sewing the head pieces correctly. Fitting joints for body parts, stuffing the parts smoothly without lumps. Embroidering the nose and mouth.

Pattern used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)

I got the pattern from the web, enlarged it slightly. Followed brief instructions.
He is 7 inches tall standing up.

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
I used fabric from stash and stuffing was pure wool (an attempt to recycle 'Woolcool' packaging) I also put some lavender from the garden in with the stuffing to give a pleasant smell when squeezed and also to ward off any insects that might be attracted to the wool.  The pattern used buttons inside the limbs so that the arms and legs could move.  This was too fiddly for my hands so I put the buttons on the outside.  The buttons I used for his eyes were white as that was all I had so, I used a brown Sharpie to colour them in – it looks more red!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]       [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Oops! the photos have come out a bit big!

Forgot to finish the text.

I named him Angus after the plaid fabric I used.  Also I think he's had one too many tots of whisky hahaha!

This is the very first bear I have made. I have only ever stuffed a pincushion before now, so this was quite a challenge for me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 21:32:30 PM by Lilian »

wrenkins

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2019, 21:46:25 PM »
He's brilliant! I can't believe he can stand up by himself!  :o (I like his plump tum. It looks vaguely familiar somehow.... -<)

Lilian

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2019, 22:11:38 PM »
Lilian's Entry No. 2 (Suzie? A friend's daughter thinks it's definitely a girl. I'm not convinced -<)

What was the 'new to' me technique
Fitting joints for body parts, stuffing the parts smoothly without lumps. The sewing of the head front gusset.  Embroidering the nose and mouth, inserting joints correctly. Phew!

Pattern used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)
I found a different pattern on the web for a slightly larger bear.  An 11 inch tall bear.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  pattern pieces

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  inserting button for swivel head

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
I used fabric from stash and stuffing was pure wool (an attempt to recycle 'Woolcool' packing) I also put some lavender from the garden in with the stuffing to give a pleasant smell when squeezed and also to ward off any insects that might be attracted to the wool.

This pattern used safety joints on the arms and legs, I purchased these especially for this bear.  I put them on quite tightly so s/he wouldn't have floppy limbs.  This was a bit fiddly for my hands but I managed it.  I decided I wanted her to have a swivel head too, so using two large buttons, I put one in the head and one in the body and with strong thread managed to pull through each button, stitching the body and head closed then pulling threads tightly and knotting.  S/he can now turn her head.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  sitting on my featherweight

This is my second attempt at making a bear (Angus being my first) having learned from some mistakes. I have only ever stuffed a pincushion before now.

EDI: somehow I have accidentally deleted the 3rd photo but it still shows below, and is clickable.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 22:53:47 PM by Lilian »

Lilian

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2019, 22:13:01 PM »
He's brilliant! I can't believe he can stand up by himself!  :o (I like his plump tum. It looks vaguely familiar somehow.... -<)

Only just standing, now walking a straight line in his condition is another matter...  :S

Lachica

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2019, 07:28:11 AM »
@Lilian I like them both, prefer Suzie for the fabric choices. I had no idea about how the limbs are jointed, it looks difficult to do. & I think you've done a brilliant job.
Mary

sleepingwolf

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2019, 10:45:09 AM »
Sleepingwolf's Entry

This fleece hoodie is a birthday present for my mother who enjoys wearing slightly unsuitable clothing to embarrass my rather more conventional father.  Those of you who had been following the coverstitch thread might not be surprised to find that the new to me technique is to used my new machine to finish a garment rather than keep playing with scraps.  I also used a PDF pattern for the first time!

The pattern was included in a Craftsy class (Sewing With Knits: 5 Wardrobe Essentials) I bought years ago and didn’t take much notice of because I didn’t much care for the techniques she used to sew up the patterns.  I was looking for a fairly simple pattern with no darts or fastenings.  The only alterations I made were to shorten the sleeves and straighten out the waist shaping a little.

The fabric was originally two children’s throws from Asda.  If I hadn’t been so keen to match the “stripes” I could have used just one.  The fabric is fleecy on both sides, shed horribly when cut and squirmed like nothing on earth when I tried to sew it together.  I reluctantly had to hand baste all the seams and hems just to keep the pieces from shifting ( I hate hand sewing).  After that the overlocker and coverstitcher handled it fine.  The hems on the sleeves and body were fine but I had a harder time with the curved facing on the hood and after ripping out a couple of time I cut a new hood and started again.  Happily the next attempt was perfect and I could finally attach the hood.

In the pictures the hems look like there is some tunnelling but that is just the thickness of the fleece pile (honest ;)).  Despite all the frustrations it came out much better than I expected and I smile every time I imagine my mother wearing it.

Lachica

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »
It's lovely! I'd wear that - must look for fleece throws.
Mary

Lilian

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2019, 19:02:04 PM »
@Lilian I like them both, prefer Suzie for the fabric choices. I had no idea about how the limbs are jointed, it looks difficult to do. & I think you've done a brilliant job.

Thank you @Lachica The joints are quite a fiddle, especially for me with arthrtic hands, but I managed it, need to hammer them together  :\  :) :vintage: