The Sewing Place

Bluprint free to watch week - anyone else watching?

aprilla

Bluprint free to watch week - anyone else watching?
« on: July 20, 2019, 09:20:52 AM »
I was a Craftsy member and my login brought me to Bluprint - just in time to watch free videos. I think it continues for another couple of days.

I know I should watch courses to improve what I do but I tend to dip into things and watch what catches my interest. So far I've watched and enjoyed these three. The Suzy Furrer course was very interesting, it shows how to adjust a bodice sloper to make your own design. The other two are more creative, get the imagination going!

Stitch & Slash by Carol Ann Waugh

Stitch Savvy: Creative Machine Embellishments

Designing Your Wardrobe: Drafting Tops by Suzy Furrer

Pearl

Re: Bluprint free to watch week - anyone else watching?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 09:44:09 AM »
Thanks, @aprilla

Can anyone recommend a class for someone wanting to make their first garment that they might actually wear?

aprilla

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 09:58:08 AM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:04:31 AM by aprilla »

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »
Thanks for the alert ... I might have a browse see if theres anything new!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 11:14:37 AM »
I have watched the introduction to both of those courses, @aprilla  and think they will help me enormously.  Many thanks.

aprilla

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 11:31:17 AM »
Be careful. After the Creative Machine Embellishments video I was scouring the internet for presser feet (I bought a couching/braid foot LOL) and now I'm watching Coverstitch: Basics & Beyond by Gail Yellen
Now might be a good time for my internet to go down.

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 11:54:03 AM »
I am watching sections of Painted Pictorial Quilts. I have just received a parcel of fabric paint, inspired by projects in a book I recently bought. Now i have a running wish list for brushes, special gel, little squeezy bottles, etc, etc.

aprilla

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 12:26:19 PM »
@Puzzler so interesting you bought fabric paint, can I ask what brand you got? It's something that's been on my crafty shopping list for quite a while but I've only lately got fabric I'm happy to experiment with. Whenever I go looking for fabric paints to purchase I get boggled by choices and end up getting none (which might not be a bad thing!)

BrendaP

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Puzzler

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 13:23:39 PM »
@aprilla, I bought Setacolor light as they are transparent. Setacolor also makes an opaque and a pearlised/iridescent fabric paint. I found they were cheapest at https://theartshopskipton.co.uk/pebeo-setacolor-light-fabrics-fabric-paint-45ml

I would watch some of the Bluprint course I mentioned above this weekend while it’s free. The quilt artist uses this paint along with a gel medium that lightens the colours without watering them down.

WendyW

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 16:25:57 PM »
I've been watching as non-stop as possible since I saw this posted on PR mid-week. I've watched many from my wishlist that I wanted to watch, but don't need to own- specifically the artsy-fartsy decorative sewing ones. I've got gobs of the Susie Furer drafting ones on my list, but those I know I want to actually own. I already have a couple and they require lots of rewinding, and watching in small chunks. SO much good info in those!

So far this week I have watched:
Linear Landscape Quilts by Gloria Loughman;
Art Quilt Backgrounds by Judith Trager;
Creative Quilting: Alternatives to Free Motion with Susan Cleveland;
Stitch Savvy: Creative Machine Embellishments with Lynda Faires;
Quilting With Rulers on a Home Machine and Creative Quilting With Rulers: More Techniques & Motifs by Amy Johnson
and probably a few others that didn't pop up when I looked today.

Still on my list to squeeze in today and tomorrow are:
Continuous Line Quiltingwith Ann Petersen
Sensational Square-agonals with Sandi Blackwell
Stunning Circle Quilt Step by Stepwith Andi Perejda
Free-Motion Motifs for Classic Blocks with Natalia Bonner
Fitting Solo: From Measurements to Muslin with Linda Lee
The Artful T-Shirt- Designer Techniques with Marcy & Katherine Tilton

Unfortunately (for my purposes anyway) today is the first day in a week that it's cool enough to work in the garage, and we have a half-finished clean-up waiting for completion. It needs finishing before hubby leaves town next week, so that I have access to the woodworking tools to take care of some non-sewing projects while he's gone.

aprilla

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 18:08:27 PM »
Thanks @Puzzler :) And thanks for the link too. I've seen that brand when I've been looking, good to know. I've been watching the video and enjoying it very much and I'll try to pack some more of the same in if I can spot them. I don't know when I'll get to painting fabric, I'll need some courage, but it is steadily creeping up my 'try it' list. I had been thinking of using stencils (I'm not artistic) but might have to get a couple of brushes too... just for fun!

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 12:37:32 PM »
Ohhh... just discovered Sue Spargo.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 08:57:47 AM »
Apparently finished last night, but is still working for me, maybe due to time zone.

aprilla

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 11:53:59 AM »
I've still got access to freebies... thanks for the heads up, I think today I'll just watch chapters that interest in case it stops in the middle of something I'll be disappointed to miss.  :sew: :sew: