The Sewing Place

Sunday July 21st

Manuela

Sunday July 21st
« on: July 21, 2019, 00:59:30 AM »
Good morning all.
In a few hours I will be on my way back to Hong Kong. It’s a lot hotter there than here in Thailand.
Feeling better today about the defeat by my recent Darkside project, onwards and upwards it is, and I learned a few lessons from it...
Have a lovely Sunday wherever you are  :)

datcat23

Re: Sunday July 21st
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 01:05:27 AM »
Morning all!!!! 

Today is the last day of the school holidays, and I am back to work tomorrow.  My plan to complete the costumes during this holiday, didn't quite work out, but I am most of the way through.  All thats left is the aprons, and I will be done.

I won't be bored though.  I have at least 7 projects cut out ready to go, and a baby quilt to complete.

So today I will be in the sewing room.  I will cut a quick muslin of the apron to make sure it sits well, and then its on to the real fabric.  Oh, and put in the sleeves for a work blouse. 

Have a great Sunday everyone!
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 07:32:13 AM »
Good morning, I will be the first to join our friends on the other side of the globe.
It's a beautiful morning here.  I'm off on my (final) journey to London this morning.  Mum is moving on Wednesday / Thursday so there's just the final bit of packing to do and a trip to the tip.  I hope she hasn't found another stash of stuff like the 4 big drawers under the double bed (I didn't know it was a bed with drawers! )  It will be a bit strange - I can remember sitting on a tea chest eating fish and chips out of paper on the day we moved in.  I was 5.
Have a good day everyone.
Life's too short for ironing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 08:48:30 AM »
G'morning we're - me, OH, eldest SS & gf - are out for lunch today before they set off back home to Surrey.  The gf will visit Aldi this morning, she loves shopping there, they don't have one near home  ;)

I'm expecting a  :woof: food delivery this morning and with luck I'll get some productive time in the sewing hut this afternoon.

Have a good day all
👓 changing the world, one stitch at a time

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 08:52:06 AM »
Good morning, it's a bit cloudy here and very little breeze which is not helping get the washing dry. After yesterday's heavy showers the garden looks a bit fresher although some of my foxgloves are bent over a lot, they have nearly finished flowering so time to get rid of some and wait for the seeds to ripen on the others, I seem to have lost the white ones, they are not so prolific as the purple ones. Not much planned for today except must get a decent walk as the weather has cleared up, we had a light tapas lunch in Manningtree yesterday but I felt full and a bit sleepy afterwards so we just watched the regatta from a riverside bench. Have a good Sunday.
Still learning

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 09:01:51 AM »
Got some shoes to take back to Debenhams today, never usually venture into town on a Sunday... then more work on the compost heaps.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 10:04:41 AM »
A very warm start, with a little bit of sun occasionally.

Post-holiday washing is progressing well, my clothes were done yesterday, dog blankets are on the line, and t'Other Half's clothes are about to go out.  Then I must wash my new to-and-from-the-hot-tub dressing gown, it's not absorbing any water, so I'm dripping as I come back in.  It's a very odd fabric, says it's 90% cotton and 10% polyester and feels stretchy, yet it's like cotton towelling.  And it's actually a men's one, but at £12 in M&S sale, it WILL be ok  :S

The other thought for today is, can we be bothered to go to another village show??

twopence

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 10:06:04 AM »
OH was up early to do the Maharaja Rally with his mate as the mechanic to his mates Austin A7 circa 1938.  He brought me a cup of tea in bed and then I had a good session with my current book before deciding that I’d better have breakfast as DD1 (aka @Jobunnie ) is coming to lunch and picking up some bits.  I’m now off for a leisurely bath before cooking a new recipe for said lunch.

Enjoy your days.

maliw

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 10:17:17 AM »
Good morning - so who's got the sun? It was lovely here at 6.45am but now it's grey, where has the sun gone? Holiday washing done and out on the line, OH is in the garden grass cutting, he was out there within an hour of getting home yesterday. Out for lunch so I don't have to go food shopping until tomorrow, a quiet day methinks.
Have a good day.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 10:24:40 AM »
Morning everyone! Sunny here and it's warming up quickly so need to find something to do where it's cooler. I've some of Sainsbury's 'living lettuce' (£1) that I will plant out half into the garden to grow on. My normal crop are all finished and some young blackbirds took a liking to the last lot of seeds that were sown!

I feel in a 'tidy up mood', perhaps the sewing room later?
Stash Busting 2019
Goal: 30 metres
So far: 5m metres

Jobunnie

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 10:42:08 AM »
OH was up early to do the Maharaja Rally with his mate as the mechanic to his mates Austin A7 circa 1938.  He brought me a cup of tea in bed and then I had a good session with my current book before deciding that I’d better have breakfast as DD1 (aka @Jobunnie ) is coming to lunch and picking up some bits.  I’m now off for a leisurely bath before cooking a new recipe for said lunch.

Enjoy your days.

Oh, exciting !!!  A new recipe - what a treat in store 😁

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 11:31:51 AM »
Another nice warm day here today.  I must stop watching the Blueprint videos and get on with something more constructive; maybe have a rummage through the stash to find something to try out the stitch and slash.......

Then I must wash my new to-and-from-the-hot-tub dressing gown, it's not absorbing any water, so I'm dripping as I come back in.  It's a very odd fabric, says it's 90% cotton and 10% polyester and feels stretchy, yet it's like cotton towelling.

If it's brand new it's probably still got sizing in the fabric.  Once that's washed out it will absorb water much better.  Same with brand new towels.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

FloBear

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 12:16:42 PM »
Good morning, I will be the first to join our friends on the other side of the globe.
It's a beautiful morning here.  I'm off on my (final) journey to London this morning.  Mum is moving on Wednesday / Thursday so there's just the final bit of packing to do and a trip to the tip.  I hope she hasn't found another stash of stuff like the 4 big drawers under the double bed (I didn't know it was a bed with drawers! )  It will be a bit strange - I can remember sitting on a tea chest eating fish and chips out of paper on the day we moved in.  I was 5.
Have a good day everyone.

End of a very long era!
I remember the large slightly scary lion picture in the gloomily decorated front room.
Mum has just texted to say she's moving sacks into the garage!!

Have good days Ploshkin and all SPpeeps.
Dogs are such a help when dressmaking!

WendyW

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 14:33:03 PM »
Good morning! Woke up to a beautiful day here. Our horrendous heat of all last week broke yesterday with a rainy day (when we FINALLY finished cleaning the garage) and today we are back to reasonable temps. After church today, we have a group motorcycle ride that will culminate with a trip to a local ice cream parlor. Love these rides, but it's the last day of Bluprint's freebie week and I'm not done with my list! The sacrifices we must make! Slept wrong and woke up with a stiff neck, so hoping that will loosen up quickly.

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 16:46:02 PM »
I just got back to Hong Kong. Great journey, the flight was completely overbooked and I got bumped up to business class again. Cathay Pacific serve very nice champagne there  ;)