The Sewing Place

Very small, light, simple machine

Lowena

Very small, light, simple machine
« on: July 21, 2019, 13:58:06 PM »
I need a machine which I can take to my sewing group. It will only be used for 3hrs, once a month and only to piece patchwork blocks. Nothing difficult, bulky or large.
There are some on Amazon for between £40 and £80 and I certainly wouldn't want to pay more for something that will get no other use.
Has anyone bought one of these machines and if so, which one please?
Please don't tell me to get a 2nd hand or larger model. I need something small, light, easy to thread and able to do the simplest of tasks
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 14:30:08 PM by Iminei »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

StitchinTime

Re: Very small, light, simple machine
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 14:31:50 PM »
Can you post links to some of the machines you are considering? I have a John Lewis mini machine (now discontinued I think) that I used to take to my quilting meeting. It was very light, but struggled at times over seam intersections if the allowances were not nested. You will also need to consider how you are going stitch a 1/4” seam as some of these little machines may not take standard or generic feet.

When my Mum needed a light weight machine, the lightest “proper” sewing machine I could find was the Hello Kitty one from Sewing Machines Direct. I used it a few times and it was adequate for what it cost. It had the advantage of having a needle threader which might be useful if you need something easy to thread.
https://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/browse-machines/sewing-machines/hello-kity-compact-sewing-machine/

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 14:46:05 PM »
How about this J Lewis machine which is made by Janome. @Manuela has a pink one so could probably answer your questions. I've looked at them many times in my local J Lewis.

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-jl110-sewing-machine-white/p317685
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 14:54:45 PM »
Luke bought one of those for Lucy a couple of years ago and I have used it once, I cat remember why ...
It goes very fast and, seemingly, has no speed control of any type. I didnt like it!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 15:06:45 PM »
Which one was that Iminei?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 15:24:17 PM by Helen M »

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 15:15:04 PM »
Would you consider a second hand machine from a dealer, @Lowena? If so, Steve at Sewing Machine World in Kings Lynn sometimes posts part-ex machines on Facebook, so it might be worthwhile giving him a ring to see if he has anything in.
http://www.sewingmachineworldonline.co.uk/

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 15:41:19 PM »

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 16:07:41 PM »
The Amazon machine looks as though it could be very under powered - I found my mini machine to be quite frustrating when it came to speed, especially if you are used to a “normal” machine. The other annoying feature was that it didn’t declutch when winding a bobbin so the needle carried on going up and down.

The Singer 1306 is at the upper end of your price range, but would probably have a bit more oomph and has auto declutch for bobbin winding.
https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/singer-start-1306-sewing-machine/611408-1000
https://www.singer.com.tr/assets/img/uploads/product-files/dbace176ea069861e0790a36753f030d_en.pdf

Are you OK with a front loading bobbin as both have my suggestions have that type.

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 16:17:05 PM »
@Helen M, I have the full sized John Lewis machine in pink, not the small one  ;)

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 16:24:46 PM »
I don't know what a front loading bobbin is @StitchinTime  :|
@Francesca My machine is in a bedroom and I couldn't even carry it down the double flight stairs let alone anywhere else.I can barely lift it :D
I can see it's fraught with problems and now I'm know why O only have one machine. I'll give it some thought thanks

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 17:38:39 PM »
Thanks girls, as always.
No @StitchinTime I don't want to go down that route, but thanks for the suggestion.
@Helen M that's more than I really want to pay. It's only for 3hrs a month and sewing 2 pieces of cotton fabric together.
I don't use a 1/4inch foot on my main machine  StitchinTime so that wouldn't be a problem.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_2?ie=UTF8&adId=A0493973K23AY5LYTRMZ&url=%2FElectric-Overlock-Machine-Household-Stitches%2Fdp%2FB078MRMTWB%2Fref%3Dsr_1_2_sspa%3Fcrid%3D1E0XWN3G9UVZ3%26keywords%3Dsewing%2Bmachines%2Bfor%2Bbeginners%26qid%3D1563720032%26s%3Dgateway%26sprefix%3Dsewing%2Bmachines%252Caps%252C287%26sr%3D8-2-spons%26psc%3D1&qualifier=1563720032&id=7416459341251507&widgetName=sp_atf

@Lowena I'd be put off buying anything that has so many one star reviews. One of them wondered if some of the five star reviews were fake and looking through the profiles I think they are right. Apparently there's a whole industry around this https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/01/which-uncovers-fake-five-star-reviews-flooding-amazon/

@StitchinTime 's Singer suggestion looks just the job  :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 17:51:35 PM by Vezelay »

StitchinTime

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 18:02:28 PM »
@Lowena A front loading bobbin is when the bobbin goes into a metal holder which is then put into the machine via a “door” that is at the front of the machine. With a top loading bobbin, the bobbin is put directly into the machine via a slide off cover just in front of the foot. (There are variations on these description, where bobbins are put in to the side of the needle, but this tends to be on some older machines.)

What make and model is your main machine? You might be more comfortable with as similar set up as possible for the little machine.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 18:05:37 PM by StitchinTime »

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 18:07:23 PM »
@Helen M, I have the full sized John Lewis machine in pink, not the small one  ;)

@Manuela  Oops I thought I'd linked to the full size one that you had.

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 18:20:27 PM »
@Lowena, a Singer 221K (Featherweight) would be ideal for you. It took mine with me on holiday in New Zealand. They can cost a pretty penny, but are darn cute, reliable, make a perfect straight stitch and won’t break.... Just in case you want to go the vintage sewing machine route.  :vintage:

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 18:24:29 PM »
I don't want to spend more than £50 as it will get virtually no use. My machine is a brother In movie 1800q