The Sewing Place

My first sewing machine

DementedFairy

Re: My first sewing machine
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 09:47:14 AM »
You don't need a machine for patternmaking as far as I know

If married couples can be as many as 4 or 5, my wife may get a shock soon... :devil:

If you have the option of a vintage machine, take it.  they're amazing, and only doing straight stitch is no hindrance!  You can still pick up a basic modern machine to use for zigzagging, or even better, buy a basic overlocker instead.  Honest, the vintage ones make the most wonderful buttonholes
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 09:55:35 AM »
I've had a Brother and found it good but it was the mid-range Brother, I can definitely see cheaper Brother's being poor.

Avoid modern Singers & Husqvarnas like the plague would be my advice. Older ones are good though.

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »
It's a sad fact of life that the brands that used to be world leaders - Singer, Husqvarna/Viking and Pfaff are now part of the SVP group, a multinational which is more interested in global profits than machine quality.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

rowe1311

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »
I would definitely recommend gumtree for second hand machines.  The quality of older machines is better than budget machines and you can pick them up pretty cheap. Often they may need a service, but for under £100 you might get a serviced decent machine.  I have had some good gumtree buys and as a newbie it is so much better to spend the money later on on another machine when you know what you like and need. 

If you get into clothes making, you probably will want an overlocker at some point and saving your pennies for a decent one of those in a couple of years would be my advise. 

Lyn-J

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 12:54:22 PM »
Sewingsue yep, 6 Berninas (when I went to classes at Bernina's they were surprised I had that many!)

Bernina 730 Record - my teenage acquisition, bought when I lived to far from home to use my Mum's.
Bernina 180e, first big embroidery machine - with DD2
Bernina 790 Big Machine - love it!

Bernina 344 Overlocker - first overlocker - with DD2
Bernina 1300 MDC Coverstitch - with backup overloker
Bernina 1500 MDA - came free with 790

Pfaff 1473 CD - wasn't so keen on this machine - now with DGD3

Merfreak I hope your search goes well, let us know how you get on. What part of the world are you in?

Didi

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 13:56:30 PM »
I've had a Brother and found it good but it was the mid-range Brother, I can definitely see cheaper Brother's being poor.

Avoid modern Singers & Husqvarnas like the plague would be my advice. Older ones are good though.

I agree about modern singers but my Husqvarna is only a few years old and sews beautifully anything I throw at it. It is admittedly not the lower end of their range I would say very much mid range but I wouldn't heisitate to recommend it to anyone

Merfreak

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 18:38:42 PM »
I don't know why my previous post didn't get posted... Oh well...

@DementedFairy Whoops yes what you say makes complete sense haha.

@rowe1311 What does an overlocker do besides sewing the free edge to prevent fraying? Does it have any other function? I know you can sew free edge with a zigzag stitch to prevent fraying especially if you hem it afterwards,  is that different? Obviously overlocker makes everything prettier but is there something more to them than I know that makes it worth having at one point in life?

@Lyn-J wow 6 machines! Do they all get used? I'm from Slovenia. Been looking at these machines all morning and noon today haha. From what I've read online the 340 one seems the best, but I do want to check it out in person before buying. :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 18:41:16 PM by Merfreak »

rowe1311

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 19:48:06 PM »
You can do lots with a normal sewing machine so you don't need an overlocker, but as you get more into it, you realise they speed things up and do knit fabrics much better. 

A lot of the clothes I want are made from jersey fabric which is stretchy, and while it can be done on a normal machine with a zig zag , the overlocker stitch is stretchier and faster.  While it isn't that time consuming to straight stitch and neaten the edges with zig zag, I am sure the more dressmaking you do, the more you will hanker after an overlocker.   I totally intended for my Bernina 1008 to be my one and only machine for everything, but less than a year later I now own an overlocker.

If it was a choice on where to spend your money, a cheaper second hand sewing machine and a higher quality new overlocker would be my preference.   

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 20:00:42 PM »
I am going to come down firmly against an overlocker.  I bought one because I thought I should, but never got to grips with it.  I don't sew knits - you don't need an overlocker for these either - and find my 'overlock' foot works perfectly well for neatening seams.  In my eyes, an overlocker is an unnecessary and expensive extra piece of kit.  :)

Francesca

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 20:18:27 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree that buying an overlocker too early into sewing can be like trying to run before you can walk. I absolutely adore my overlocker, but I had been sewing in earnest for about 6 years before I bought it and I sew a lot of knits. I don't think it's unnecessary unilaterally though, just not for everyone.

Didi

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 21:46:47 PM »
I have 2 overlocker a frister rossman that was mums and a brother that I bought a few years ago they are brilliant for knits and so much quicker but my sewing machine has a really good seam overcast programme so I do use that more often. Probably because it's easier than having the 2 machines out. I have done rolled hems on the overlocker and that is very useful, but it's not something you need straight away and in all honesty I could easily manage without mine

rowe1311

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 22:12:18 PM »
I would also echo not getting an overlocker yet as it would be too baffling to learn that straight away.  I just think that in a year or two it might be something you would consider if you really get into dressmaking, and I would save up for that instead.  For now, I would just get a basic sewing machine, or second hand one, and see how you like it and what you use it for. 

Merfreak

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 22:18:06 PM »
Ah I see. Thank you all for clarifications, much appreciated! I'll see where sewing machines take me but it's good to know there are more options I could consider down the road. :)

Merfreak

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 15:28:05 PM »
I ended up getting Elna explore 340 and I really like it, I've been playing with it yesterday a bit. I'm eager to buy fabric and start sewing but the only threads we have are the "fluffy" kinds, they were probably cheap and are really old and I'm not sure, but something tells me this can't be healthy for the machine. I'm having trouble finding quality threads as I don't know what to look for (what material it should be or good brands; I know about Gütermann, but can't find it in my country online). I've been looking at this one: https://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/p/9505-1000/coats-duet-polyester-threads/coats/coats-duet-polyester-tk100-1000m but I have no idea if it's good or not.

Other brands I have access to are: Lango, Unitas, Pega, Madeira (been also looking at Madeira rayon, it looks smooth, but I'm not sure as I'm inexperienced -.-).
Hopefully these threads work with hand-sewing as well.

I didn't know where else to ask this, so sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but thank you all for the help.  <3 :flower:

UttaRetch

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 16:17:12 PM »
Glad you found a machine you like.

As for thread, Gütermann is far too expensive for me and I buy

in reels of 1,000 yards.  Much cheaper.