The Sewing Place

Abakhan Remnants

Acorn

Abakhan Remnants
« on: July 26, 2019, 08:46:31 AM »
I have been caught out by Abakhan remnants before - it is quite difficult to thoroughly check a large piece of fabric when you're standing holding several other pieces - but one of the ones I bought last week is in a league of its own.

It's roughly 4 metres of cotton jersey.  I washed it last night, and took it out of the dryer this morning.  When I started wrangling it to try and fold it I found, firstly, a rough seam with large felt tip lettering alongside it about a metre in from one end.  Bad.  Then, another metre along, I found another seam.  This one doesn't quite go right across the fabric, but has been made by a triangle being taken out and the raw edges then seamed.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]     [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I have never seen anything in an Abakhan store to say that their remnants might be seconds (and this is waaaaaay beyond a second anyway), although experience has shown that this is sometimes the case.  I bought one piece that, when unfolded was actually L-shaped, with at least half a metre square taken out. 

How does this happen?  I've seen fabrics taken from the bolt with a seam across - although I've never seen a seller do anything other than cut at that point and start re-measuring from there - but this second seam means that it could not have been put onto a bolt without it being obvious right from the start that there was something wrong.

But more than that, how does any assistant cut a piece like this and think it's OK to fold it so that nothing untoward shows, and put it in with the remnants?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:08:52 AM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

Re: Abakhan Remnants
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
Moves like that really boil my pee! That is nothing short of deception!  :angry:
I hope you can get something from it.
Personally I'd be taking it back with a right old head of steam up at the sneakiness.
Makes me mad.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 09:06:44 AM »
The store's 110 miles (and over 3 hours) from home, and we won't be back up there for quite a while, so I'm afraid I won't be taking it back.  I can probably get a dress out of it, which is what I was wanting, because it will cut down into two pieces of just under a metre, and one of around 2 metres.  I do have a problem with having paid exactly that same as I would have done for a perfect 4 metre length.

In fact, now I think about it, as it's priced by weight I paid extra for the seams!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:11:35 AM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 09:17:26 AM »
What a shame @Acorn . Not what you would expect at all.

I've had many pieces like that from my little local George Street Shop.  I think they come from garment factories - I once had a complete top!  Lots of what I get has a diagonal cut and I think they may have been used to cut bias tape.

Having said that, I only pay pennies for them, and some have a good couple of metres. They are all in a bin at the entrance to the shop, and customers just root through so can assess any flaws.

I got caught out at Abakhan the last time I went as I forgot how heavy fabric weighs.  Not been for years though, as I find my local shop far cheaper, especially when I factor in train fares.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 09:21:44 AM »
Oooo very naughty. If you can't face tackling them via email with photos for a refund, then I hope you can make use of it somehow.  Not a solution but if you dye it a darker colour it might cover the felt tip writing...?
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 09:41:38 AM »
I was just about to say email them with pics too.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 10:31:35 AM »
Fabric often comes in with seams and writing on but you’re right, I would never have sold that to someone.  I would always offer to give them that bit or cut a fresh piece. 
I have remnanted pieces like this but it would have been heavily discounted and a clear note made of the problem. 
I would definitely get back to them. 

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 17:32:01 PM »
I always check their remnants... a lot come straight from clothing factories and have odd chunks cut out of them or wonky cuts or as you found out seams and scribble. The girls don’t check them...they presume the customer does, they just weigh them.

maliw

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 19:15:21 PM »
I know that at one time all rems were classed as seconds but I haven't seen any notices for quite a while stating this. Yes I  too have been caught out from time to time even when I've 'checked' what I wanted to buy. That does 'take the biscuit' though.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula