The Sewing Place

New Ironing Board

Gernella

New Ironing Board
« on: July 20, 2019, 10:32:01 AM »
Earlier this year I bought a new Brabantia ironing board, a massive thing that DH hates because he says it is "too bloody big" but is a dream to use with lots of real estate.

Two days ago my sewing room iron died on the steam side and for sewing  you really need steam as I explained to Mr Don't Spend Any Money Until You Are Forced To. Not told him yet but I have researched and ordered, you need good tools!   

My normal ironing board upstairs is a table top one, which is good for small things but anything large and the fabric shifts it around.  Old ironing board had been put into use but against the other one it paled into oblivion so was destined to the charity corner.

Yesterday it rained nearly all day (wonderful) so I had plenty of time to search for the right price (second hand would have been fine). I'd nearly decided on the one that can be stored away in the wardrobe (if there was any room), but I had this nagging feeling it might not be strong enough.  About to press the buy button on the smallest Brabantia (still nearly £50), when I noticed an advert for replacement covers for Brabantia.  So I've done an about turn and ordered the backing felt, new cover and the straps you need for around £25. 

Now that will go down well with DH,assuming he even notices.   I can't believe what a difference a decent top makes to ironing.  My mother in law always used an old sheet on top of an old blanket.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

HenriettaMaria

Re: New Ironing Board
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 14:36:14 PM »
I'm on my second Brabantia ironing board.  Again, I love the vastness of its top - ideal for pressing trouser seams neatly - and the lack of iron rest - ideal for bedding or curtain-making. 

The first one (circa 1987) had a chipboard top and eventually the steam got to it and it started to fall apart.  This one has a metal mesh top.  It still has its original cover although that's under a cheaper cover bought from John Lewis so it's still in good nick.

Ohsewsimple

Re: New Ironing Board
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 21:21:24 PM »
I love my Brabantia.  It stays up in my sewing room.  For ordinary ironing downstairs I have a cheap one I bought years ago.