The Sewing Place

Love Notions Melody Dolman

Fiona M

Love Notions Melody Dolman
« on: July 26, 2019, 21:22:36 PM »
Anyone made this shirt?  I bought some gorgeous cotton viscose in the Seasalt sale, and I’m thinking of trying this pattern.
Just wondered if anyone’s done it?  Looks very straightforward?
https://www.lovenotions.com/product/melody-dolman

Fiona M

Re: Love Notions Melody Dolman
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 20:14:54 PM »
I’ve printed it and stuck it together, and I agree, the layers for printing is great, and I really appreciate the addition of the full bust front piece.
I ended up printing it twice though, because I didn’t stick it together right the first time.
Toile tomorrow, hopefully wearable.  Don’t want to waste my lovely Seasalt fabric.

Fiona M

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 08:17:21 AM »
Progress has been made.
I dug this cotton lawn out of deep, deep stash.  (I bought it in Harrogate, on a TSF meet!)
Quite happy with the fit.  I didn’t fit neatly into any of the sizes, according to my measurements, so printed off the medium and large layers with the intention of blending the two.  In the end I just used the large, with the full bust front piece.  I’m still having trouble visualising my new body shape, and to me, the medium pattern pieces looked impossibly tiny!
There’s a useful video tutorial for the collar and facing assembly, which I had to watch a few times before it clicked.
Just the hem, cuffs and buttons to do today.
Very pleased with how this pattern worked, and I feel confident to cut into my bargainous Seasalt fabric now.    

Fiona M

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 08:20:10 AM »
Collar (‘scuse my stupid face!)

annieeg

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 09:28:47 AM »
@Fiona M
That's a really nice top  :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »
That looks nice.  Love the hem shaping. 

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 10:00:44 AM »
That looks great, @Fiona M  !  I think that pattern has been very well received online.  I like the shape, but not on me, I'm far too busty.  Am looking for a similar pattern but with set in sleeves.

Good luck with the Seasalt fabric!  I do love their designs.

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 13:23:23 PM »
That’s lovely @Fiona M   

I looked at that pattern when it was released but wasn’t sure about it. I may have to reassess.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 22:16:34 PM »
Lovely top - and a lovely smile too!

Fiona M

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 19:48:25 PM »
The finished shirt.  I’m very pleased with it and would recommend this pattern, it’s easy enough for a beginner.

Lizzy777

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 20:01:38 PM »
The finished shirt.  I’m very pleased with it and would recommend this pattern, it’s easy enough for a beginner.

That looks so lovely, the fabric is really good too. Suits you!

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 20:14:51 PM »
Very nice - and I love those buttons, too!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Nevis5

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 20:15:33 PM »
Looks fantastic, @Fiona M  !  Great fit and pretty fabric x

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 01:05:20 AM »
You don't have a stupid face, faces are interesting and you have a beautiful smile ❤️.

Fiona M

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 13:30:04 PM »
Haha @Surest1tch, it was more the face I was pulling - very hard to take a photo of yourself without pulling a daft face!
Anyhow, the proof is in the pudding.  I’m wearing my shirt today, and when I make my next one I will lengthen the side seams by an inch and smooth out the curved hemline a bit, as I find the curve is very pronounced and dips lower than I like, plus it feels a little short in the torso.
This perfectly proves the purpose of making a toile, as it’s only when you wear something that you realise it’s weak points.